Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Are big bore airguns now legal?

The act is pretty clear.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    The act is pretty clear.
    Thats what I thought too

Summary:
    An airgun is any airgun with a calibre of under 5.6mm regardless of power/energy. No Licence Required

An airgun is any airgun with a calibre of 5.6mm and over but is incapable of shooting at powers/energy of no more than 8 joules / 6 foot pounds energy. No Licence Required

I shoot a 5.5 Hw100. I dont see the need for going bigger. Even the once shooting .357 caliber uses an incredible amount of air. YOu get 2 to 3 shots. Most guys in US shoot connected to Scuba tank to have air on hand at bench.

If you need more then a 5.5 then you should think rather looking at a 22lr or center fire.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
    “Or”
    Formal logic. It's a thing, and it leads exactly to the summary as per your last post.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Formal logic. It's a thing, and it leads exactly to the summary as per your last post.
    Yep, the "OR" definition makes for an airgun. The "AND" makes for a firearm.

The grey area is for something exactly 5.6mm.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Cockroach View Post
    Yep, the "OR" definition makes for an airgun. The "AND" makes for a firearm.

The grey area is for something exactly 5.6mm.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    Definition of a FIREARM according to FCA:

"d) device manufactured to discharge a bullet or any other projectile of a calibre of 5.6mm (.22 calibre) or higher at a muzzle energy of more than 8 joules (6 ft-lbs), by means of compressed gas and not by means of burning propellant;"

Thus:
    Caliber exactly 5.6mm (or larger than 5.6mm) and muzzle energy >8J = firearm
    Caliber exactly 5.6mm (or larger than 5.6mm) and muzzle energy <8J = not a firearm
    Caliber smaller than 5.6mm = not a firearm.

There is no ambiguity

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Caliber smaller than 5.6mm = not a firearm.

There is no ambiguity
    See that is what i wanted to confirm and was hoping for.

On my to have list is something 5.0 or 5.5, but it sure needs more than 8 jules. I have a .177 at 8 jules that i used for field target but now use as a plinker and to teach the kids.
    Plinking at 50-75m at tiny targets is to air rifle enthusiasts what long range shooting is for gong shooters. It is a lot of fun but cannot be achieved with 8 jules. Especially on the outer edges. A .177 8jule will hit a 50m target by luck. Grouping is about 300mm
    At 75m you need some weight and speed to flatten that line along with premium pellets.

Our type of plinking starts something like a beer bottle cap at 30m and once you hit yours, you move 5m out

User

Crafty, yes really an overlooked discipline, I had an AIR Arms s 510 extra, could reach out to 100 m if you wanted to.
    Shot from full to empty pretty consistently, with shrouded barrel it was quiet, with silencer as well you'd struggle to know a shot had been fired.
    Still have a jkhan majesty, pretty decent just not as refined but with no regulator you need to keep the air pressure at the sweet spot, full pressure and the pellet launches too fast for pinpoint accuracy, need to do some fiddling.

As for accuracy between 4.5, 5 and 5.5 for some reason the 5 gives the best performance in airguns. Don't know why, just does.

User

Yeah i love AA. I had the 400 with custom bamboo stock with adjustable hamster. This was when i planned to dig deep into the sport.
    Unfortunately the local guys allowed a fair amount of cheating, so i just left.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2