User

Default Are big bore airguns now legal?

This is an interesting FB post that I was directed to.

In layman's terms, the FCA states that any airgun over 5.5mm bore size and (some say "or", not "and") developing more than 8 joules of energy is treated as a firearm, hence requires a licence. This has been a bit controversial, open to interpretation and I'm under the impression that the police generally haven't bothered to apply the laws surrounding airguns anyway.

Here is a story where the police have confiscated 2 x .50 cal air rifles, then later given them back stating that they do not require a licence. Strange because there is no doubt whatsoever that any pellet launched from a .50cal will carry WAY more than 8 joules of energy.

Would like to understand the situation a bit better as I find it a bit difficult to believe and wonder if there is more to the story....

Anybody else have an opinion or more info they can share?

https://www.facebook.com/AfricanAirO...363781?__xts__[0]=68.ARCeEWYKaO4SBOASRsqDbuuwcXUBqaN6ByFxhFNLu1tyBB upXOeCHOmd0zS3SXduIWkk-S3c4KXfcN10Sa1xPXTuJ2gWmyQAwlEncXSLB7C7bDqGN2FUTly-zRISxQx9Mp5t9uz3XHmFjCjZ77RZarASoen46XeSzrb5echaME NLDswjG4DRm69PiWPaqRNyIlW4xqJSAxy9wLjEEC_wuVCZw6GJ l-o5VsFs2OGG7HaB2BR9ciLScNFPpoCZulZZOCFVHIUWx0pz2fm8 yzZ8WlxOezGuO2KtUpOw8Vx6nik_O9FeyScpoNPBA6K6w2UWEt EmgDGRwlciDs-vic_kdgcmoQ&__tn__=-R

User

Default Re: Are big bore airguns now legal?

Quote Originally Posted by BBCT View Post
    This is an interesting FB post that I was directed to.

In layman's terms, the FCA states that any airgun over 5.5mm bore size and (some say "or", not "and") developing more than 8 joules of energy is treated as a firearm, hence requires a licence. This has been a bit controversial, open to interpretation and I'm under the impression that the police generally haven't bothered to apply the laws surrounding airguns anyway.

Here is a story where the police have confiscated 2 x .50 cal air rifles, then later given them back stating that they do not require a licence. Strange because there is no doubt whatsoever that any pellet launched from a .50cal will carry WAY more than 8 joules of energy.

Would like to understand the situation a bit better as I find it a bit difficult to believe and wonder if there is more to the story....

Anybody else have an opinion or more info they can share?

https://www.facebook.com/AfricanAirO...363781?__xts__[0]=68.ARCeEWYKaO4SBOASRsqDbuuwcXUBqaN6ByFxhFNLu1tyBB upXOeCHOmd0zS3SXduIWkk-S3c4KXfcN10Sa1xPXTuJ2gWmyQAwlEncXSLB7C7bDqGN2FUTly-zRISxQx9Mp5t9uz3XHmFjCjZ77RZarASoen46XeSzrb5echaME NLDswjG4DRm69PiWPaqRNyIlW4xqJSAxy9wLjEEC_wuVCZw6GJ l-o5VsFs2OGG7HaB2BR9ciLScNFPpoCZulZZOCFVHIUWx0pz2fm8 yzZ8WlxOezGuO2KtUpOw8Vx6nik_O9FeyScpoNPBA6K6w2UWEt EmgDGRwlciDs-vic_kdgcmoQ&__tn__=-R
    I think they screwed up on this one.

Regarding the AND / OR, it is pretty straightforward (with hindsight, after I debated with Skaapie).

The OR applies for the definition as an airgun.

The AND applies for the definition of a firearm.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

User

User

With the last post nearly a year ago in the thread you attached, the FB post referenced here is from August 2019.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
    With the last post nearly a year ago in the thread you attached, the FB post referenced here is from August 2019.
    I meant whether an airgun is classed as an airgun or not