Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Are big bore airguns now legal?

This is an interesting FB post that I was directed to.

In layman's terms, the FCA states that any airgun over 5.5mm bore size and (some say "or", not "and") developing more than 8 joules of energy is treated as a firearm, hence requires a licence. This has been a bit controversial, open to interpretation and I'm under the impression that the police generally haven't bothered to apply the laws surrounding airguns anyway.

Here is a story where the police have confiscated 2 x .50 cal air rifles, then later given them back stating that they do not require a licence. Strange because there is no doubt whatsoever that any pellet launched from a .50cal will carry WAY more than 8 joules of energy.

Would like to understand the situation a bit better as I find it a bit difficult to believe and wonder if there is more to the story....

Anybody else have an opinion or more info they can share?

https://www.facebook.com/AfricanAirO...363781?__xts__[0]=68.ARCeEWYKaO4SBOASRsqDbuuwcXUBqaN6ByFxhFNLu1tyBB upXOeCHOmd0zS3SXduIWkk-S3c4KXfcN10Sa1xPXTuJ2gWmyQAwlEncXSLB7C7bDqGN2FUTly-zRISxQx9Mp5t9uz3XHmFjCjZ77RZarASoen46XeSzrb5echaME NLDswjG4DRm69PiWPaqRNyIlW4xqJSAxy9wLjEEC_wuVCZw6GJ l-o5VsFs2OGG7HaB2BR9ciLScNFPpoCZulZZOCFVHIUWx0pz2fm8 yzZ8WlxOezGuO2KtUpOw8Vx6nik_O9FeyScpoNPBA6K6w2UWEt EmgDGRwlciDs-vic_kdgcmoQ&__tn__=-R

User

Default Re: Are big bore airguns now legal?

Quote Originally Posted by BBCT View Post
    This is an interesting FB post that I was directed to.

In layman's terms, the FCA states that any airgun over 5.5mm bore size and (some say "or", not "and") developing more than 8 joules of energy is treated as a firearm, hence requires a licence. This has been a bit controversial, open to interpretation and I'm under the impression that the police generally haven't bothered to apply the laws surrounding airguns anyway.

Here is a story where the police have confiscated 2 x .50 cal air rifles, then later given them back stating that they do not require a licence. Strange because there is no doubt whatsoever that any pellet launched from a .50cal will carry WAY more than 8 joules of energy.

Would like to understand the situation a bit better as I find it a bit difficult to believe and wonder if there is more to the story....

Anybody else have an opinion or more info they can share?

https://www.facebook.com/AfricanAirO...363781?__xts__[0]=68.ARCeEWYKaO4SBOASRsqDbuuwcXUBqaN6ByFxhFNLu1tyBB upXOeCHOmd0zS3SXduIWkk-S3c4KXfcN10Sa1xPXTuJ2gWmyQAwlEncXSLB7C7bDqGN2FUTly-zRISxQx9Mp5t9uz3XHmFjCjZ77RZarASoen46XeSzrb5echaME NLDswjG4DRm69PiWPaqRNyIlW4xqJSAxy9wLjEEC_wuVCZw6GJ l-o5VsFs2OGG7HaB2BR9ciLScNFPpoCZulZZOCFVHIUWx0pz2fm8 yzZ8WlxOezGuO2KtUpOw8Vx6nik_O9FeyScpoNPBA6K6w2UWEt EmgDGRwlciDs-vic_kdgcmoQ&__tn__=-R
    I think they screwed up on this one.

Regarding the AND / OR, it is pretty straightforward (with hindsight, after I debated with Skaapie).

The OR applies for the definition as an airgun.

The AND applies for the definition of a firearm.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

User

User

With the last post nearly a year ago in the thread you attached, the FB post referenced here is from August 2019.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
    With the last post nearly a year ago in the thread you attached, the FB post referenced here is from August 2019.
    I meant whether an airgun is classed as an airgun or not

User

There are two key differing opinions on the matter. Based on the law, licencing is required however, the CFR rejects and sends the applications back to the DFO's with a note that air rifles cannot be licensed. I have personally seen several applications like this but this may just be at my police station. Secondly, there are a few importers of big bores who bring them into SA through customs regularly with no issues so this makes me wonder. If you follow the discussions on airrifle.co.za regarding big bores there is a complete bun fight between the various factions online. Seems like there is no clear answer.
    In most cases, big bores are overkill for target plinking unless you are looking at long distances. Regarding hunting with them, you also need to be cautions and do your research as this is also limited. Personally, rather go for a high powered 5.5mm and avoid the hassle.

User

I would suggest you stay far away from them. The act is pretty clear and getting yourself in trouble based on the current situation is unwise.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    I would suggest you stay far away from them. The act is pretty clear and getting yourself in trouble based on the current situation is unwise.
    Does this include 5.5 over 8 joules?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
    Does this include 5.5 over 8 joules?
    Fark. Read the act. There is no ambiguity.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Fark. Read the act. There is no ambiguity.
    “Or”

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast