User

Default Process to function test handgun ammunition

Just a thought. We often read about the importance of function testing handgun carry ammo. Now I believe this to be important, and in fact, also believe it also applies to hunting ammo for clear reasons.

Now keeping this thread to handguns only.....

What I have not found and not seen discussed is HOW to function test, i.e. what is the process to follow. I did find a few old threads, the most detailed from Khumba on testing Golden Sabres 147gr 9mmP (http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...=function+test)

Without trying to answer my own questions, what would the recommended be:
    1. Minimum round count? Consensus seems to be a minimum of 50
    2. Does manufacturing batch make a difference? Some replies in other threads have hinted at this where users have complained about a specific brand of ammunition
    3. Most important question - What process should be followed? Strong hand, weak hand, upside down, gangsta style, limp wristing, any combination of these
    4. Would a function test performed by one individual be applicable to another individual shooting the exact same gun?

Is there a suggested protocol?

Banned

Default Re: Process to function test handgun ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by Graham12 View Post
    Just a thought. We often read about the importance of function testing handgun carry ammo. Now I believe this to be important, and in fact, also believe it also applies to hunting ammo for clear reasons.

Now keeping this thread to handguns only.....

What I have not found and not seen discussed is HOW to function test, i.e. what is the process to follow. I did find a few old threads, the most detailed from Khumba on testing Golden Sabres 147gr 9mmP (http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...=function+test)

Without trying to answer my own questions, what would the recommended be:
    1. Minimum round count? Consensus seems to be a minimum of 50
    2. Does manufacturing batch make a difference? Some replies in other threads have hinted at this where users have complained about a specific brand of ammunition
    3. Most important question - What process should be followed? Strong hand, weak hand, upside down, gangsta style, limp wristing, any combination of these
    4. Would a function test performed by one individual be applicable to another individual shooting the exact same gun?

Is there a suggested protocol?
    Function test is usually either for competition of SD preparation. My advice: shoot it like you would shoot it in real life, strong hand and weak hand. You might try some limp wristing, but leave the other suggestions be: gangsta and upside down are for movies.

It would be preferable to function test your gun with you shooting your ammunition, and your wife's gun with her shooting her ammunition. My reason for saying this is that we experienced jams when my wife shot her pistol, but not when I shot her pistol with the same ammunition.