Default Going on holiday

Hi all. What do you do with your firearm when you go on holiday? More and more resorts come equipt with safes, but most are not legally acceptable gun safes.
    What do you do with your firearm?
    Legally, we're probably not allowed to keep it in those safes at night.
    Would it be better under your pillow? That's not really legal either, is it?
    So, what should a gun owner do with his firearm when on holiday?

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Going on holiday

Carry as normal. Why would your gun be in the safe at night?
    Holiday resorts are not immune to attack.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    Hi all. What do you do with your firearm when you go on holiday? More and more resorts come equipt with safes, but most are not legally acceptable gun safes.
    What do you do with your firearm?
    Legally, we're probably not allowed to keep it in those safes at night.
    Would it be better under your pillow? That's not really legal either, is it?
    So, what should a gun owner do with his firearm when on holiday?

Keeping your gun under your control when you sleep is legal. Whether that is under your pillow, next to the bed, in a drawer next to you, in a bag or even holstered on you etc. It is legal.

I have two favourite holiday resorts.
    At resort 1, I carry whenever I am not swimming at the pool or beach down the road. If I am swimming, I leave it in the safe in the room.
    I do believe the safe here is acceptable, especially since the resort is owned by the SAMHS branch of the SANDF which is likely why they have safes in every unit.

The other one I have to hand it in at reception and place it in a private safe within a giant walk in safe. I take it whenever I leave the resort to go out for the day.
    In this case, I sleep next to pepperspray, knives and an IFAK. Luckily the resort is quite secure and the security patrols, I know it's not ideal but f*** it.
    Vehicle safes are too damn expensive for me, and space is already at a premium in a small/medium hatchback.

Maybe if I was older with kids, I would only go knee deep in a pool or the sea and EDC like normal but I'm not ready for that yet. But then again, if I did plan on having kids I'd probably have emigrated.

If you set on not taking with. And do not want to leave at home. Then for safety store at a dealer for those days.

Quote Originally Posted by DeVilliers View Post
    Carry as normal. Why would your gun be in the safe at night?
    Holiday resorts are not immune to attack.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
    It shouldn't. But I've never been a fan of under the pillow or on a pedestal. I usually keep it under my pillow when traveling, but don't like doing that.

I live in a small town, where thieves still run when you wake and find them in your home. We don't have home invasions here as yet.
    I've had a small hidden combination safe built in next to my bed at home. It works for me here, but when I travel, I prefer having my gun closer at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyt Ryda View Post
    Keeping your gun under your control when you sleep is legal. Whether that is under your pillow, next to the bed, in a drawer next to you, in a bag or even holstered on you etc. It is legal.

I have two favourite holiday resorts.
    At resort 1, I carry whenever I am not swimming at the pool or beach down the road. If I am swimming, I leave it in the safe in the room.
    I do believe the safe here is acceptable, especially since the resort is owned by the SAMHS branch of the SANDF which is likely why they have safes in every unit.

The other one I have to hand it in at reception and place it in a private safe within a giant walk in safe. I take it whenever I leave the resort to go out for the day.
    In this case, I sleep next to pepperspray, knives and an IFAK. Luckily the resort is quite secure and the security patrols, I know it's not ideal but f*** it.
    Vehicle safes are too damn expensive for me, and space is already at a premium in a small/medium hatchback.

Maybe if I was older with kids, I would only go knee deep in a pool or the sea and EDC like normal but I'm not ready for that yet. But then again, if I did plan on having kids I'd probably have emigrated.
    Thanks Nyt Ryda.