Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: .270 rifle

User

Default Re: .270 rifle

Whilst I intend using .270 in the Northern Cape in the main, I will also use it in Limpopo/Northwest (Bushveld).

I know a Musgrave, I have other calibers in Musgrave. Never disappointed with Musgrave. But I will consider other good pre-loved .270 in wooden stock, any good make.

I have tried safari and outdoor, Camdix, die blou muel, Kalahari, Dave sheer in Johannesburg, Blunderbuss. Couldn’t find what I am looking for. I have seen .270 in synthetic but that’s not what I am looking at. I want wood.

User

I do own a .308, I want .270. It comes highly recommended and it has distance. I just love it. I want to own a .270.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Meaning get a 308 rather then a 270
    I do own a .308, I want .270

User

Pretty big difference between a 270 and a 308. I'd take the 270 over the 308 any day. More powder, can still do 150gr bullets with ease and it does those 150gr bullets with more power than the 308.

Banned

They have new Winchester and CZ

https://www.classicarms.co.za/

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Meaning get a 308 rather then a 270
    For bushveld, I agree on that one. For Karoo veld, the 270 is better.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    For bushveld, I agree on that one. For Karoo veld, the 270 is better.
    second that.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Mthembeni View Post
    Hi Members,

I am considering buying a pre-loved .270 rifle with a wooden stock in a very good condition. Any ideas or recomnendations or even someone selling. I am in Gauteng, would prefer to buy in Gauteng. I want to use the rifle for hunting.
    Buying a "pre-loved" 270 in SA is not a minefield, only two things to look for.

1: Make sure the owner did proper cleaning, meaning the barrel is not pitted or anything.
    2: Make sure the owner shot factory ammo.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    2: Make sure the owner shot factory ammo.
    Messor why do you say this ?
    Sorry but i can not agree (it's perhapa to broad a statement) ....factory ammo normally runs at max speed that give decent results over a wide range of rifles, and the manufacturer doesn't care if the powder causes more throught erosion than "cooler" burning powder with lower velocities. Sure reloaders probably shoot more but often keep logs to tell exactly how many rounds has gone down the barrel

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jdpretorius View Post
    Messor why do you say this ? Sorry but i can not agree....factory ammo normally runs at max speed that give decent results over a wide range of rifles, and the manufacturer doesn't care if the powder causes more throught erosion than "cooler" burning powder Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
    **********************************************They do care about things like that because word gets around and reputations are lost. Factory ammo is always loaded safely and within spec which will work in rifles world wide - using propellants we can not access or hope to replicate.There for reloaders chasing top velocities often eat barrel throats and wear rifling at accelerated rates trying to duplicate factory loads or loads from internet using USA propellants. This is a more pronounced issue with .270 243 type of owners. I have eaten about 5 or 7 mm out my rifle throat, 3200 fps 130gr bullet -3440 fps 110 gr bullet. Enjoyed it though - big learning curve.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast