Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: .270 rifle

User

Default Re: .270 rifle

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    I no longer want to go hunting with you , what boring fire side into the evening it will be.Imagine - Start conversation bring up topic, stir coals - clink ice hear opinion, debate matter some what, clink ice - enter T Stone....................... bla bla bla pure sensible logic, end of that topic . Thought we were going to natter way into the last fire logs .
    I have to say, I work a lot of meat every year, and I am more fascinated by the discussions on bullet velocity and construction and the effect on meat damage.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    I have to say, I work a lot of meat every year, and I am more fascinated by the discussions on bullet velocity and construction and the effect on meat damage.
    yes caliber discussions are mainly of interest on a superficial level, bullet construction Coriolis affect - aging meat and why some animals run and others DRT same bullet same rifle same POI, these are things of interest - why some woods burn longer than others and what makes good coals.

User

OP :

i have a lot of rifles , I particularly like and prefer the bigger calibers 375 and upwards and often hunt bushveld with a .416.

i never thought i would ever purchase a .270 and must admit i never liked the caliber. I then began hunting the Kalahari and Namibia and purchased a .270 .

my opinion has definitely changed and i have become extremely fond of my .270 for this type of hunting. I have used my .270 for Gemsbok,springbok and Kudu.

my opinion is that if you require a rifle for longer range hunting then the .270 is a great caliber.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Treeman

You also believed the BS that by lowering the pressure, and having to throw in more powder to reach desired MV won't do anything to your barrel.
    perhaps you will enjoy this when you have time

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post

perhaps you will enjoy this when you have time
    Yes I have seen it.

Treeman, I don’t think you fully understood my post.

If you lower the pressure the bullet exerts on the barrel itself, then you need to raise the powder charge in order to compensate for that. You raise the powder charge and you end up with a higher MV , but now you sit at the same pressure again.
    So you sit with the same pressure but burning more powder.
    Now some smart person will say but hey, the pressure peaks further down the barrel.
    Yes, but not at the freaking muzzle, with a normal bullet the pressure would peak at let’s say 3 inches of bullet travel, with the reduced pressure bullet you sit at 3.3 inches of travel at p-max, which is nothing, meaning what part of the barrel is STILL burning, the lands, just with more flame, since you the reloader lowered the pressure and increased the charge.

The old timer in the video you posted is just explaining that by murdering a little cartridge like the creedmoor to get performance, that comes at a cost. That is why many people are seeing their miracle cartridge’s barrel go at 2000 shots, but since they believed it to be magic they thought they would get 4000 shots.

To add some value to this thread, take the 270 for example, you can shoot a 130gr bullet at 2950ft/s, which is much lower than it’s top node, but now because it’s a big cartridge you are not trying to kill with pressure to gain performance you sit at about 48K to 49K PSI, which is really low. Meaning your barrel and components lasts a lifetime, actually more. Which it does, also my words to the OP, those 270 rifles shot with PMP factory ammo lasts forever in the hunting field, simply because it’s a big cartridge shot gently.

Think of it as two boxers, a heavyweight and a lightweight.
    You ask them to hit a force gauge to produce a certain amount of force, the little guy have to put in a lot more effort to hit a certain mark, the big guy reaches that force a lot easier, with much less effort. The little guy still eats less food(read powder) to hit the same force level, but he will always just be a little guy over exerting himself.

Banned

[QUOTE=Messor;1331833]Yes I have seen it.

Treeman, I don’t think you fully understood my post.
    I fully understood
    I said "here is something you might enjoy" - NOT - "here is something that proves you wrong."
    I think the concept of more is more is easy to understand especially when it is explained in regard to "overbore". ----- beginning to wonder if you read my post # 27

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4