Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Bedding a rifle - why is Pratly Steel - Putty not popular ?

Hi everyone.

I used Steenvas 100 to bed my rifles. It becomes as hard as stone once dry, with zero shrinkage. It is also a lot less messy to work with than other, more runny epoxies.
    Bought mine from my local co-op. They come in 50ml and 250ml packagings.(If I remember correctly) 50ml( small packaging) is probably enough to bed 2 rifles.

Banned

Ok - this Steenvas looks good, got the properties needed and seems less messy than epoxy two part. I did some reading and came across how to remove it
    How do I remove STEENVAS epoxy adhesive from a surface?
    You can use a diamond tip angle grinder or if on the floor a small chipper. Alternatively you can use a blow torch (taking into consideration that the surfaces you’ve bonded together will allow such temperatures).
    How does one do finishing work with this stuff - I usually use a carpet knife and a dremmel tool ???? - specs say diamond grade tools needed?
    What do you guys use? .
    Any one got a finished product picture ?.

User

Pratley putty was actually used to bed a lot of old target shooting SMLE 303's. It may have it's difficulties, as it will not be so easy to squeeze out through narrow gaps, so your stock prep should be done keeping gap with in mind.

Pratley Quickset Steel has been used widely for bedding. The only drawback is the short time you have to get everyting right after mixing. It does not leave you any time to make and fix mistakes.

Epoxies like Epidermix have a longer curing time, giving you more time to get the setup right.

I have used various epoxies on my rifles, including Pratley Putty, Pratley Quickset Steel, Steenvas, some unkown builder's epoxy. I prefer the Pratley Quickset Steel.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Ok - this Steenvas looks good, got the properties needed and seems less messy than epoxy two part. I did some reading and came across how to remove it
    How do I remove STEENVAS epoxy adhesive from a surface?
    You can use a diamond tip angle grinder or if on the floor a small chipper. Alternatively you can use a blow torch (taking into consideration that the surfaces you’ve bonded together will allow such temperatures).
    How does one do finishing work with this stuff - I usually use a carpet knife and a dremmel tool ???? - specs say diamond grade tools needed?
    What do you guys use? .
    Any one got a finished product picture ?.
    Just do the final shaping before it has fully set. A sharp knife does it.

I'd have to seperate the barreled action from the stock to show off the Steenvas. It looks just like any other hardened epoxy, except the colour is a grainy type black.

User

Blunts all tools I've tried. HSS, cobalt steel and titanium nitride tool tips.

Course sanding disks or flap-wheel disks works OK. I think you do get diamond tipped grinding and cutting tools for a Dremel. Never used it though.

I've learnt to just buy Devcon and save myself the hassle. Much easier to finish off.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post
    Blunts all tools I've tried. HSS, cobalt steel and titanium nitride tool tips.

Course sanding disks or flap-wheel disks works OK. I think you do get diamond tipped grinding and cutting tools for a Dremel. Never used it though.

I've learnt to just buy Devcon and save myself the hassle. Much easier to finish off.
    what I feared ! - pity, cause product properties seem nice to work with. It would be the tungsten in Steenvas that makes it so unworkable when set.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post

which Devcon is it you use - site has 9 metal types ?.

User

From my experience with Epidermix 372, it is ones of those epoxies that doesn't flow like a quick set epoxy. Once you mix it, it will take what ever shape you push it into, so you can spread it in your stock where you need it, and it will only flow/move once you start pressing in the action. I find the job really clean and easy.

User

Guys, on this question, and it's a serious one. We rub the stock with grease or wax or whatever to prevent the epoxy or putty or whatever to stick to the action. And now the stupid question - why don't we just wrap the action in Glad wrap? It's hellishly thin, so that's not an issue, and then you know you have no risk of it sticking?

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    ********************** which Devcon is it you use - site has 9 metal types ?.
    http://www.speccoats.co.za/steel-epoxy.php It is the most widely available one. Although most of them should work just as well if not better. Just don't look at the price.🤣 Recent currency fluctuations must have pushed it further north.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast