Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Bedding a rifle - why is Pratly Steel - Putty not popular ?

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Guys, on this question, and it's a serious one. We rub the stock with grease or wax or whatever to prevent the epoxy or putty or whatever to stick to the action. And now the stupid question - why don't we just wrap the action in Glad wrap? It's hellishly thin, so that's not an issue, and then you know you have no risk of it sticking?
    Glad wrap will work on a barrel for full bedding, but will not follow contour of a action, it will bridge corners and sharp edges may push through. You will not get a true mirror image. If it splits tears or what ever, you will wish you were never into guns trying to get it loose after it sets vas. It will also be difficult to remove from bedding once its set.
    There is a medical spray to cover open rash and burns - sprays like deodorant, sets like a plastic film, want to look into it - dissolves in water.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Glad wrap will work on a barrel for full bedding, but will not follow contour of a action, it will bridge corners and sharp edges may push through. You will not get a true mirror image. If it splits tears or what ever, you will wish you were never into guns trying to get it loose after it sets vas. It will also be difficult to remove from bedding once its set.
    There is a medical spray to cover open rash and burns - sprays like deodorant, sets like a plastic film, want to look into it - dissolves in water.
    Yeah that makes sense. There's also a company called Liquid Glove that could also work. Also, PlastiDip. It sets to a plastic film that can be pulled off after use. Just things to think about I think!

User

I went the glad wrap route on a stock that i made myself for an very old .22 Hornet, I used the thinnest I could find, I think it was 5 micron and it worked well.
    I am not so sure it will be as easy on all actions though, the Hornet easily stripped down to where the action was just a cylinder with no folds or bulges, and it had no recoil lugs, so it was easy to put a single layer smoothly over it.
    I did add Aluminium pilars for the screws and just plugged the mag and trigger wells.

User

I used the Pratley steel quickset to bed my Howa 338WM, did that back in 2016 and it is still perfect. I strip the action every now and then to check the recoil lug and bedding, and clean dust or oil or whatever might have managed to get in there...

I will be bedding the 6.5x55 into its new Boyds At-One stock in the next few weeks, and when I get round to do the .22 stock (also got a boyds, but I need to do the inletting on that one first...) I will use pratley quickset steel again...

It has worked for me so far, so no reason to not use it again.

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post
    http://www.speccoats.co.za/steel-epoxy.php It is the most widely available one. Although most of them should work just as well if not better. Just don't look at the price. Recent currency fluctuations must have pushed it further north.
    I have used a few different epoxy products to bed rifles and the one I like using the most is Defcon plastic steel, steenvas is too sandy (texture) for my liking and a bit too stiff as well.
    If you do decent prep work the job becomes much more enjoyable and you tend to buy yourself time not worrying about where the stuff end up other than between the action and the stock.
    Take the time and mask the whole stock, kiwi clear shoe polish is still the best release agent in my eyes, I like to apply it to the metal work using a soft cloth and let it sit a while to harden up and then buff it up a-bit with a very soft brush to get a nice shiny finish on the finished bedding.

The problem I will have with pratley putty is that I don’t think it will flow into the smaller cavities and will probably not be a stress free bedding job as you would have to put a lot more pressure on the action and the stock to get the desired end result.

The hardening time of Pratley putty is short to work with, difficult to do a full bedding job properly, except for small, thin sections.

I've used Sikadur from Builders. The cure time is sufficient so you don't have to rush the application.

IMO, epoxy is epoxy, but I favor the Germans to produce a quality product, hence the Sikadur.

Pure lanolin grease, thinly spread, as release agent.
    Last edited by 414gates; 06-09-2019 at 16:41. Reason: spelling

User

Clear packing tape instead of cling wrap on action, some actions are a bit dimpled and can cause blood pressure rise at parting time.
    Kiwi polish for releasing agent.

Probably each has their own technique that we feel comfortable with and tend to stick to that. Each has their little advantages and disadvantages over the othe, but in the end there is not really that much between them. I do favour the ones that can be cleaned up with water.

Banned

I usually tape over putty and spray and cook over it all. Got a fright once - a big one. Not one you'd forget easily.
    Water cleaning products are soooooooooooooooo much better to work with.

Pratley steel epoxy and kiwi shoe polish have been my go to ingredients for years. Cheap, available and easy to work with

User

We have had people asking about bedding a rifle using Pratley products.

A suggestion that has been used successfully is Pratleymix.
    http://www.pratleyadhesives.com/indu...s/pratleymix-1

It is a slow curing 2 part epoxy. It sets within 20 - 30 mins and fully cures in 24hrs. It can be sanded and filed once cured it can also be colored while mixing. It is thixotropic which means that it can be applied on vertical surfaces with little flow.

Pratley Putty comes in 3 variants. Original Putty, Quick Set Putty and Quick Set steel Putty. The original Putty is slow curing and will give you more time to work with. The Quick set putties will set within 20mins.

Pratley Steel Quick Set is not a Putty but a 2 part liquid epoxy. The set time is quick so you will have about 2mins to work with the mixture.

If you want to ensure that your mechanism does not get bonded to the bedding you can use gladwrap. You could use vaseline as well or best is to use a silicone release agent. Nothing sticks to silicone.

The quicker an epoxy cures, the more brittle it is. Slower curing times lead to tougher bonds. No epoxy likes water, do not submerge if you don't have to (unless stated otherwise in instructions) . Except Pratley Putty.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast