Default FAL Do's and Dont's - Advice Needed

Hi all,

With an increasing interest in historically significant firearms, I have decided that my next purchase will be an FAL.

I have a few questions:

1. To what degree are reliable FALs available in South Africa? Are these used units considered "good buys" in general?
    2. Who is the recommended seller? I have identified Panzer and Classic Arms as well as Titan Arms (who seem to only sell R1's).
    3. How much of a difference can be expected in condition and build quality between R1's and Belgian models? Is it worth sticking to R1's?

Thanks so much!

Regards,
    Craig

Default Re: FAL Do's and Dont's - Advice Needed

Actual R1s, as in the ones made here under licence are not really that commonly available.

It is more likely that Titan's guns are not R1s but rather FALs.

As I understand it, Panzer brought the FALs in from Zimbabwe. All were inspected and borescoped. Some were rebarreled.

Build quality is excellent, exactly what you would expect from guns built by artisans.

Make sure that the gun is correctly headspaced and you should be just fine.

For what it is worth, I would take any of the belgian surplus guns that I have handled over a new production DS Arms, but probably not over my civilian G series.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Just confirm on which spec the rifle was build. Imperial or metric as parts does not seem to be Interchangble between the 2.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

User

Speak to the guys at Classic Arms in Witbank about availability, they normally have these rifles up for sale in their auctions. You might just be lucky.

Thanks all. Will look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by flyinggun View Post
    Just confirm on which spec the rifle was build. Imperial or metric as parts does not seem to be Interchangble between the 2.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk
    Imperial guns are strictly not FALs but L1A1s.

They are also pretty uncommon here.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by craigflanagan View Post
    Hi all,

With an increasing interest in historically significant firearms, I have decided that my next purchase will be an FAL.

I have a few questions:

1. To what degree are reliable FALs available in South Africa? Are these used units considered "good buys" in general?
    2. Who is the recommended seller? I have identified Panzer and Classic Arms as well as Titan Arms (who seem to only sell R1's).
    3. How much of a difference can be expected in condition and build quality between R1's and Belgian models? Is it worth sticking to R1's?

Thanks so much!

Regards,
    Craig
    I have one of the Panzer FN's that came in from Zim. They did an amazing job refurbishing it and she shoots like a dream. I haven't had any problems to date and put well over 1000 rounds down range.

User

Looking at the Titan Arms "R1" on their web site, it certainly doesn't look like a standard R1.
    The rear site is a paratrooper style, the front sight looks like a SLR, the gas plug is non standard, and the barrel seems to be from an STG 58 with the space for a bipod attachment. The front handguard is not standard R1 either.
    Actually I've just checked with them and they are out of stock!
    The only problem I see with buying an FAL/R1 is that you can end up with a compendium of different parts like, presumably, the ones above.
    In the States, they seem to have all sorts of various makers parts using Imbel , Entreprise (I think that's the correct spelling) DSA and some others. The Argentinian ones are called FM FAP's if I'm not mistaken. And there they bitch like hell because they can't get 2 MOA accuracy out of their mix and match parts.
    My advice is to steer clear of them all, and stick with either SA R1's or proper FN's. I think the Austrian STG ones are good too.
    As far as headspace is concerned, don't forget that you can get alternate locking shoulders in plenty different sizes which should take care of any such problems.
    Good luck with the purchase, you've made the right choice!!

The problem with FAL's in SA is that most available now are ex Zim. That being said as long as the barrel is ok they can be resurrected; at a cost. Panzer seemed to have done a decent job on those I have seen but there are some butchers out there. Ideally look for a so called G series in good condition. These come up every few years or so but be prepared to pay.

A lot of the Rhodie/Zim FALs and L1A1s that came here to the U.S. as parts kits came together pretty well when reassembled with just a U.S.-made receiver (or, occasionally, a cut original that was properly welded after eliminating the ability to accept a safety sear). No real work beyond basic assembly needed most of the time. As long as none of the parts are worn out or damaged, one of these rifles should be functional.