Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: S&O Company Policy

This is a byproduct of SAPS's complete B.S. policies of fining the respective shops for selling too much ammo to people - I say again, SAPS IS TO BLAME IMHO, based on what I've heard from several shops. I had the same discussion at S&O Stellenbosch the other day, and while I didn't run into a problem, I just discussed the issue, the guy selling me what I wanted says that SAPS fines them if they don't record a Sec 16 licence for the ammo (calibre) being bought. It's completely at odds with the FCA, but of course SAPS is often completely at odds with the FCA as we know. The shops are just reacting to the financial penalties they seem to be facing when they sell more than 200 rounds to Dedicated S/H people in calibres they don't have Sec 16 for - the guy behind the counter interpreted the law as we do (namely, dedicated is for the person, not the licence/calibre) but they get fined anyway by the pile of ignorance that is SAPS.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    I think then I really misunderstood this post.
    Was the OP trying to buy dedicated quantities on a self defense licence licence ?
    I would have to do a complete turn about on stance then. I assumed the 12 G was Sect 16 for hunt or sport shooting, did not take into account that it could be licenced for SD.
    If that is the case the weapon was not declared for Sect 16 and if he does not have same caliber under sect 16 he would only be able to buy ammunition for that caliber as per Sect 15 laws.
    Do not like what I just said, but thats the way I would read it.
    I agree that the person is dedicated and should be treated so, but the licence does not match the concessions made for Dedicated status's.
    Guess you need to get another shotgun for D/S/Shooting
    You’re wrong. Go read the threads that discuss this topic.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

The FCA clearly states that once you have the dedicated status either as a hunter or as a sport shooter the ammo limit disappears. It does not say the ammo limit disappears for a specific license and it also does not say you are limited during the purchase process. This is not an interpretation, it is a legal document and it says what it says.

Quote Originally Posted by ARM505 View Post
    This is a byproduct of SAPS's complete B.S. policies of fining the respective shops for selling too much ammo to people - I say again, SAPS IS TO BLAME IMHO, based on what I've heard from several shops. I had the same discussion at S&O Stellenbosch the other day, and while I didn't run into a problem, I just discussed the issue, the guy selling me what I wanted says that SAPS fines them if they don't record a Sec 16 licence for the ammo (calibre) being bought. It's completely at odds with the FCA, but of course SAPS is often completely at odds with the FCA as we know. The shops are just reacting to the financial penalties they seem to be facing when they sell more than 200 rounds to Dedicated S/H people in calibres they don't have Sec 16 for - the guy behind the counter interpreted the law as we do (namely, dedicated is for the person, not the licence/calibre) but they get fined anyway by the pile of ignorance that is SAPS.
    Why don't they fight it instead of bending over and asking for vaseline.

User

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi_ View Post
    Why don't they fight it instead of bending over and asking for vaseline.
    For the same reason you don’t want to piss your DFO off when handing in a application. The DFO can make your life difficult and when you run a multi million rand operation keeping your DFO happy will more than likely be more important than keeping one or two customers happy. It sucks that DFO’s are on this power trip. We have Bothma to thank for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    You’re wrong. Go read the threads that discuss this topic.
    Or even just read the relevant sections of the act

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

User

S&O i have discovered also like to advertise products on sale and then don't have the stock. Never did.

Banned

Guys - I fell into the uneducated hole, I believed what I thought it meant and what made sense to me - using my logic. I did not read what it said, I read what I thought it meant.
    My dedicated certificate does not mention caliber.

User

The problem here is that the (misinformed) shop assistant asks for the licence for the ammo that the customer is trying to buy.

If that person then shows a s.13 or s.15 licence then they automatically think that the max 200 round limit applies.

At that point what should really happen is that the shop assistant should then either ask the customer to produce a s .16 licence (even if in another caliber) or a current dedicated hunter or dedicated sport shooter certificate (all of which would prove dedicated status).... at which point the shop should be able to sell the customer more than the 200 (non-dedicated) ammo limit.

Of course the above never happens.... which is frustrating!!

User

Ps. It is, of course, entirely possible that people who have dedicated status first had FA’s licenced under s.15 status (and before they attained their dedicated status).... hence some of their licences being granted under s.15.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast