Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 39
  1. #11
    Member Messor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    BFN Freestate
    Age
    40
    Posts
    9,933

    Default Re: Barnes TSX or TTSX

    Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    please elaborate - perhaps some pics, this something a lot of us may appreciate, perhaps a thread regarding the how and what to do effecting this mod ?.
    Treeman, just to be clear, I am talking about my ammo storage containers/boxes.
    "It's not the dying part that scares me, it's the not living."

  2. #12
    User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vereeniging
    Age
    65
    Posts
    4,072

    Default Re: Barnes TSX or TTSX

    Just get high density foam, cut to size and stick to top of case.

  3. #13
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    51
    Posts
    7,301

    Default Re: Barnes TSX or TTSX

    Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Treeman, just to be clear, I am talking about my ammo storage containers/boxes.
    ***********
    Oh I thought your mag had some recoil softener method in it

  4. #14
    Member Messor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    BFN Freestate
    Age
    40
    Posts
    9,933

    Default Re: Barnes TSX or TTSX

    Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    ***********
    Oh I thought your mag had some recoil softener method in it
    That is what I thought you thought, hence my clarification.

    No the trick for hunting is load your cartridges normally, don’t try and jam the darn things into the lands as if you are a benchrest shooter. I think many people load their cartridges so long it already jams against the magazine before any recoil happens. Why, you don’t need to chase lands for hunting loads, that is silly.

    Also, just line your ammo boxes with foam insert, like below, many of these rounds have driven very far, been loaded a few times, yet look at the tips, all perfect :

    "It's not the dying part that scares me, it's the not living."

  5. #15
    User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    On the Gariep
    Posts
    2,893

    Default Re: Barnes TSX or TTSX

    All my bullets are loaded quite far from the lands. Still get deformation of bullet tips occasionally. The fact that I top up my magazine as soon as possible, meaning that one round might stay at the bottom of the magazine for several shots, might have something to do with it. it mostly happens with my .300 win mag. I have never found this to be a problem while hunting.

  6. #16
    User
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Garden Route
    Age
    49
    Posts
    289

    Default Re: Barnes TSX or TTSX

    Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    That is what I thought you thought, hence my clarification.

    No the trick for hunting is load your cartridges normally, don’t try and jam the darn things into the lands as if you are a benchrest shooter. I think many people load their cartridges so long it already jams against the magazine before any recoil happens. Why, you don’t need to chase lands for hunting loads, that is silly.

    Also, just line your ammo boxes with foam insert, like below, many of these rounds have driven very far, been loaded a few times, yet look at the tips, all perfect :

    Nice load for a 270.

  7. #17
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    51
    Posts
    7,301

    Default Re: Barnes TSX or TTSX

    Is my dealer mad or is his price correct, have not had time to research R2400 odd for 100 x Barns TSX 7 mm ??

  8. #18
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pretoria, South Africa
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,578

    Default Re: Barnes TSX or TTSX

    Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Is my dealer mad or is his price correct, have not had time to research R2400 odd for 100 x Barns TSX 7 mm ??
    That's about the going rate. A bit high, but not too far off. Guess why I'm not shooting Barnes? :D

  9. #19
    Member Messor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    BFN Freestate
    Age
    40
    Posts
    9,933

    Default Re: Barnes TSX or TTSX

    Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    Nice load for a 270.
    That is just a bushveld load, very mild, about 2900ft/s give or take.

    I am yet to see any size kudu slow it down though, I suspect the only true test would be an eland, but I have cals for that. Maybe one day I will test it on a BIG eland bull, and just have my brother back me up with the 338. From all that I have seen I do however think the TSX will go through to the vitals, regardless of bone hit, just a feeling.
    "It's not the dying part that scares me, it's the not living."

  10. #20
    User
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Garden Route
    Age
    49
    Posts
    289

    Default Re: Barnes TSX or TTSX

    I have only recovered 5 TTSX bulletsso far. 7mm 120g at 2850ft/sec.

    2 were from young Eland bulls (female size) the shot went high, went through the shoulder blade, through the spine, through the other shoulder blade and rested just under the skin on the other side. After 250m, that's a lot of meat and bone to go through.

    1 was a bull culled at close range, shot in the head. Bullet was unable to go though both sides of the skull.

    2 were from springbok (a friends shot) both went through the back leg, through the femur, right through all the stomach contents,heart and lungs, and the bullet was found in the brisket on the far side. Almost made it through lengthwise.

    I would say there is more than enough penetration for a bull Eland.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •