Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Competency to supervise shooting exercises "SASSETA RO"

Quote Originally Posted by BBCT View Post
    At the risk of repeating myself:

".........so I decided to try applying for a CFR additional competency as an RO and see what happens."
    This "I'll prove I'm more competent by inventing new loops just for kicks" does nothing but hurt the group.

It must have been the same words uttered before some jackass submitted a 12 page motivation printed in colour and look at us now.

Sent from my POT-LX1AF using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gleock View Post
    Back to my question, what were you trying to achieve?
    Back to my reply, and at the risk of repeating myself yet again:

".........so I decided to try applying for a CFR additional competency as an RO and see what happens."

I just wondered if they would issue me a card or how they would handle it. Do you ever look at something and say: "I wonder what would happen if......"

I've read my opening post again and to me the question is quite clear: "So, my question is: Has anyone else ever tried to apply for RO Competency, and if so what happened?"

Nobody has answered the question, so I'm assuming nobody else has tried.

Thanks to G33 for the succinct, clear explanation as to why there is no option on the system for this.

User

A competency deals with your fitness to use a firearm or trade in firearms.
    Does it?

I cannot see that it actually does anything that a standard Police Clearance does.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

User

You are not incorrect, but I think you might have missed some of the detail in my post.

I did U/S 123516, which requires attending a course, writing an exam & doing a practical, same as proficiency courses to own a handgun/rifle/shotgun. There are other proficiencies too:

U/S 117705 – Knowledge of the Firearms Control Act 60/2000
    U/S 119649 – Handle and use a handgun
    U/S 119650 – Handle and use a self-loading rifle or carbine
    U/S 119651 – Handle and use a manually operated rifle or carbine
    U/S 119652 – Handle and use a shotgun
    U/S 123510 – Apply tactical knowledge in the use of firearms
    U/S 123511 – Handle and use a self-loading rifle or carbine for business purposes
    U/S 123512 – Demonstrate tactical proficiency with a shotgun
    U/S 123513 – Demonstrate tactical proficiency with a handgun
    U/S 123514 – Handle and use a shotgun for business purposes
    U/S 123515 – Handle and use a handgun for business purposes
    U/S 123516 – Supervise Shooting Exercise (Range Officer)
    U/S 123517 – Supervise the operation of a shooting range and tactical shooting exercises
    U/S 123518 – Demonstrate tactical proficiency with a self-loading rifle or Carbine
    U/S 123519 – Handle and use a manually operated rifle or carbine for Business purposes
    U/S 123520 – Supervise firearm training
    U/S 243200 – Handle and use a muzzle-loading firearm

For most of these courses, the system doesn't allow for an application for competency to be loaded onto the system.
    Maybe to answer more directly in short:
    [-] The unit standards is PROFICIENCY, and ensures that you have training up to a minimum standard/level
    [-] COMPETENCY is where CFR/SAPS declares you a fit and proper person to own a firearm. (Included in this criteria that they use to measure you is inter alia that you attained the necessary minimum level of proficiency with the class of firearm, which your PROFICIENCY/UNIT STANDARD certificate of training attests to).
    [-] If you want to further your formal "firearms qualifications" by eg. doing the BUSINESS PURPOSE or TACTICAL unit standards (either because required by employer to adhere to regulations applicable to them or whatever other reason, or to just attain more formal knowledge in a structured manner for own personal reasons, etc) you are free to do so and it won't be held against you, but it will not make you more competent to own and handle a firearm. All that is required is the BASIC unit standards to be declared competent, and therefore no further/levels of competencies is issued.

[-] As far as "U/S 123516 – Supervise Shooting Exercise (Range Officer)" is concerned, it is also a further education after you have completed the basic proficiency training for the handle and use of XXXX firearm (in terms of the unit standard you can not supervise/RO eg. self-loading rifle or carbine exercises if you as RO have not completed the applicable unit standard for it yourself.)
    [-] CFR/SAPS however do not regulate duties of RO's because all the shooters on the range in general will have the basic proficiency assumed as per being declared competent. (You are still able to shoot at a range even if a RO is not present, but the RO is there for better/safer shooting environment).

[-] PROFICIENCY TRAINING/UNIT STANDARDS and COMPETENCY is therefore two totally seperate things, and they are only related in that the UNIT STANDARD certification ticks the box for CFR/SAPS that, amongst the other requirements to be declared competent, you acquired/mastered the minimum required skill in the handle and use of the firearm (and they only require the minimum level).

User

Quote Originally Posted by Cockroach View Post
    Does it?

I cannot see that it actually does anything that a standard Police Clearance does.

You submit proficiency certificates with your police clearances?

User

Nobody has answered the question, so I'm assuming nobody else has tried.
    That's probably because nobody is so bored with their lives, that they try to create new hoops to jump through.

User

That's probably because nobody is so bored with their lives, that they try to create new hoops to jump through.
    Or giving CFR ideas and puttng more money into the hands of ITA and similar bodies.

Peter

User

You submit proficiency certificates with your police clearances?
    Perhaps, very marginally, on the ability to handle and use.

Absolutely zero to do with trade though

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2