Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    User

Default .22 ammunition lowdown

So now that my .22 is coming home, I can ask this question. Any brands to be wary of? Any preferred value for money brands. Do some foul the barrel more than others? *Not match ammo. Range use mainly.

User

Default Re: .22 ammunition lowdown

What kind of firearm? You're going to have different requirements for a bolt action than for a semi auto or a pistol.

General guideline: buy a bunch of different types and see what shoots well. If the twist is in any way slower than normal (1:16 is normal iirc) you may struggle with standard 40gr bullets. Here the 36gr HP HV tends to work well.

User

I have a Brno Model 2 bolt gun.

I've only had problems with Highland HV, two cartridges blew up in my rifle chamber (Case head separation, luckily no damage), so I ditched the rest. I haven't seen Highland recently, so I guess they are not available anymore.

With CCI Sub sonic I had a couple of bullets stick inside the barrel, so I don't use those.

Generally I just buy the cheapest "standard velocity" with Fiocchi and Magtech that are real accurate in my rifle. I also like the new "SK" brand.

User

the remington stuff is made for semi-autos, not ideal for bolt rifles. I have had very good results with the CCI standard velocity bullets. My rifle did not like the Fiocchi very much. Magtech did OK.

User

Tried a good couple of ammo makes and my Walther enjoys the S&B Standard as much as the more expensive brands.

Its because its Walther

User

22's are usually quite picky about their diet. Test all the ammo you can get. When you find a load that your rifle likes more than others, stock up on it while you can get it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    22's are usually quite picky about their diet. Test all the ammo you can get. When you find a load that your rifle likes more than others, stock up on it while you can get it.
    problem with that ammo thats really good !!!! - I can seldom find a reason good enough to use that reeaal good stuff, second best is good enough most days .

User

S&B standard velocity seems to be a good starting point for most rifles or handgun without spending too much money but as advised above, you should try several different brands until you find what works best in whatever firearm you've got. If your local gun shop doesn't have S&B then try whatever they have in stock.

User

I've had two CCI stingers blow up in my Zastava bolt action.
    I bought a load of American Eagle HV 38gr copper plated on special and they've performed perfectly. I'm through about 400 now and zero duds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast