Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default West Coast Feral Pigs

The feral pig phenomenon has spread into our area between Redelinghuys and Elands Bay. Here are some pic's of pigs shot by me in this area. If anybody has good success with baiting teqniques or using something like Foxpro to call pigs please share your knowledge. All this pigs were shot at either dusk or early dawn.Varke Maart 2017 B.JPGFeral Boar 2.jpgIMG_3253.jpgVarke Maart 2017 A.JPG

User

Default Re: West Coast Feral Pigs

thread hi jack, are these pigs edible, or worth eating ?

Banned

I see people mix these pigs 50 / 50 with domestic pork to make broken meat products. I am told "daar is niks lekkerde ".
    I hear the guys are experimenting with suckling pig in distress calling, I am hearing 3rd 4 rth hand about it, but evidently the domestic/feral pig is quiet protective of species young, any young, I am told they come in fighting mad. All, as I say "hear say", but ya - the blokes use caller and stand in 210 lt oil drums. Pre 64 also knows some what about this for wild pigs.

User

Accorns do well as your birds species dont eat it. Takes a while to get on feed,

Invest in nv or thermal and hunt at night when they active.

User

I am back dec, maybe we can hook up and i can show you how to hunt pigs at night.

You can whats app me on 081. 322. 8324.

I got beehives in the sandveld

Complete eradication of the pest is quite difficult.

Hunting them continuously can be achieved. Keep in mind, there is some work here before you actually start hunting.

Step 1. Tracking

You will need to identify an area where the pigs are active, often. Set up trail cams in areas where you discover their tracks and monitor the pigs activity in the areas where you find tracks or signs of their presence.

The most successful way to get a shot at or lure pigs is to bait them. I have not tried calling them in so I cannot comment on this.
    Step 2. The Bait Pit

Dig a hole about a meter wide and a half meter deep layer the hole with acorns and grains and top it with dirt and a rotting carcass of an animal. The idea behind this is that you want the pigs to smell the food from afar and they must dig to get at the food when they reach the feeding pit. (Giving you the opportunity to shoot or Trap them) Having a water trough in this area may aid the luring also.

The feeding pit must be replenished regularly to have the Pigs return to the pit frequently. Pigs are not territorial, they travel to where the food is. They may make frequent returns if there is food in a spot. Like a habit.

Step 3. The hunting part.

You can build a large trap over this area or you can set up a in a tree stand or you can set up a metal stand if you want to shoot them once you get comfortable that the pigs keep returning to the feeding pit almost daily.

I hope this helps and i hope i get an invite :-)

User

Hi I have shot some of these pig with a bow and rifle between Velddrif and Piketberg with a friend. Just before he passed away he setup some baits for the pig. You can take a 110mm PVC pipe and glue on some screw on end caps. Drill a few holes in the pipe large enough for some corn to fall out if rolled around. Anchor with rope / cable to a tree or ground and that should keep the pigs busy. The times we shot them were late after noon or at about 11 to 12 at night with spot lights when they where in the fields.

You can make some nice salami or wors from them.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Munchie View Post
    The feral pig phenomenon has spread into our area between Redelinghuys and Elands Bay. Here are some pic's of pigs shot by me in this area. If anybody has good success with baiting teqniques or using something like Foxpro to call pigs please share your knowledge. All this pigs were shot at either dusk or early dawn.Varke Maart 2017 B.JPGFeral Boar 2.jpgIMG_3253.jpgVarke Maart 2017 A.JPG

If you need help shooting them I might know of a person or two that will be more than happy to help me included

User

Hi guys thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it, I might take you up on some of the offers, I'll be in contact. PS I made a bait pit with fermented corn and a rotting sheep carcass without any success, they never came close, I know there were pigs in the area as I had tracks and trail cam images proving they were there, so I must have done something wrong. I do seem to pick them up close to water troughts so I might make my next one closer to that. I have seen a guy in Texas who shoots truck loads by calling them so I'll try the distressed piggy route maybe that gets them coming in thick and fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Munchie View Post
    Hi guys thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it, I might take you up on some of the offers, I'll be in contact. PS I made a bait pit with fermented corn and a rotting sheep carcass without any success, they never came close, I know there were pigs in the area as I had tracks and trail cam images proving they were there, so I must have done something wrong. I do seem to pick them up close to water troughts so I might make my next one closer to that. I have seen a guy in Texas who shoots truck loads by calling them so I'll try the distressed piggy route maybe that gets them coming in thick and fast.
    I have a caller, we can try it near your bait pit? I will look up some pig sounds its good for around 250m.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast