User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Default Changing to instant left shooting

So about 2 years ago I torn ligaments and muscles in my right forearm and elbow. Simplest explanation is a severe tennis elbow. (Lateral Epicondilytis in the first degree.) Like a lot of hard headed fellows are, we are more clever than the docs and wifes and know exactly that any injury will heal over time.... well, it is getting worse and my elbow is getting stiff. So, end of this month I am going under the knife. 2-3 weeks with a solid cast and at least another 4 of 0 weight picked up with my right arm.

I cannot operate without being able to carry. Just not possible in my mind set. So over the last few weeks I have been practicing weak hand only shooting. Accuracy is really good, just speed not great. I am confident that I will be able to hit a target just as well as with my strong hand. Follow up shots are a lot slower and reloading is a real pain in the ass, but manage able, albeit slow.

I have also practiced with my Glock in the Micro Roni shooting left handed. For home defence that would be the way to go as I can have the Roni resting on the cast or on my arm in a sling if shit hits fan during this time. Shooting my AR is also possible with left arm only if a rest is available, so I will stick to my G19 as carry gun and other G19 in Roni for Home defence.

Have tried the pump scatter gun. Nah.... wont work. Also a revolver in single action use. Is highly accurate but no way to manipulate speed loaders. It seems to me that for a six shooter two hands are needed. So that idea will also not work.

My 10/22 is also useable with one hand only, but the Roni and Glock is definitely a better option than a 10/22 for any defence situation. The 10/22 will be handy to kill time while recovering. There is a whole family of new Mynahs that migrated to the farm.

Any other suggestions to get defense able in 2 weeks with only 1 useable arm?

What is a "cheap" but "ok" left side holster? I need that as I have only right hand ones. Don't want to spend a ton on something for using it only 2 months (I hope), but my and my loved ones are worth more than a "El cheapo". Holstering should be easy as I wont have an extra hand to clear clothing etc.

Banned

Default Re: Changing to instant left shooting

Which holsters do you currently have?A normal leather OWB can easily be converted: just wet it with warm (not hot or boiling) water, thread your belt in on the opposite side and start carrying.

User

I have a broken Raven Eidilon shell and one clip. Should work well left handed draw. Doesn't have the claw or wedge, but if you want to borrow it for an extended time pm me.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Which holsters do you currently have?A normal leather OWB can easily be converted: just wet it with warm (not hot or boiling) water, thread your belt in on the opposite side and start carrying.
    Ds J. Thanks for that. Have not thought about that. I have about 3 leather OWB holsters that I hardly ever use. I just checked, 2 of them should be able to be modified. Will do it tonight.

Thanks Grant 9. Really appreciate. I will first check if the modification is successful and if not will take you up on your offer.

Use your right hand holster on the left side. This means you have a left hand pocket draw. Also known as a cavalry draw. It works better for access while driving, and drawing from concealment. It takes a bit of muscle training to get used to, but if you practice enough the plus side is you end up able to shoot equally well with either hand.