Default Article: "CrimeStats | Guns killed six out of 10 women murdered by partners: ISS"

https://www.sowetanlive.co.za/news/s...source=webmail

Domestic violence ties with gangsterism for the second-leading cause of murder in South Africa, with personal arguments being the primary reason.
    Almost 60% of women who are murdered by their partners are shot dead, which shows the importance of tighter controls of gun licences, says the Institute for Security Studies (ISS).
    Commenting on the latest crime statistics from the police for the past financial year, the ISS said on Thursday the data showed the number of murders increased from 56 to 58 a day on average.
    Over the past seven years, murder has risen by 35%. This reverses the downward trend that was evident between 1995 and 2011 during which time murder decreased by 55%.
    Policing alone cannot solve South Africa’s violence, said the ISS.
    "The police cannot keep children safe after school when they are vulnerable, or men from beating their wives and partners at weekends. Most murders occur on weekends, and the most frequent cause is arguments between people who know each other."

Saying SA should place its focus on violence-prevention programmes, the ISS said: "Most violent behaviour is learnt or tolerated in the home, communities and schools where children either directly experience or witness violence."
    "Many people grow up believing that violence is an acceptable way to solve disputes or assert authority. This drives much of the violence that occurs between men in public places, and at home against women."
    The recent outbreaks of public violence, mostly against foreigners, are another warning sign government cannot afford to ignore. Levels of public violence in general are rising, the security analysts said.
    "To address the drivers of violence in South Africa requires an increased investment in programmes proven to work." These include:

• Positive parenting programmes,
    • After-school care programmes, and
    • Anti-bullying programmes at schools.

Evidence-based interventions that have been shown to work, the ISS said, include increasing firearm control, providing support for parents and caregivers, providing trauma counselling and support for children who experience violence, and strengthening life skills training.

Default Re: Article: "CrimeStats | Guns killed six out of 10 women murdered by partners: ISS"

My emphasis above...

The usual "blame it on gun owners" crap coming out...what about SAPS not doing their jobs?

There've been numerous incidents of women's court interdicts not being enforced and attackers being allowed near their victims.

Why aren't DFOs doing house visits when comps come up for renewal, and merely relying on "My circumstances haven't changed". I know of one DFO who does house visits and pulls the domestic aside and asks if there's any domestic violence he should know about.

User

Default Re: Article: "CrimeStats | Guns killed six out of 10 women murdered by partners: ISS"

Quote Originally Posted by JhbBoy View Post
    .... Almost 60% of women who are murdered by their partners are shot dead, which shows the importance of tighter controls of gun licences, says the Institute for Security Studies (ISS)
    So how many of this 60% of murders of females were committed WITH LEGAL firearms? It is easy to say guns were used... I agree, but were that gun LEGALLY OWNED AND LICENSED???? Why do we not bring THAT into account???

Quote Originally Posted by JhbBoy View Post
    Over the past seven years, murder has risen by 35%. This reverses the downward trend that was evident between 1995 and 2011 during which time murder decreased by 55%.
    Hmmm.... in other words, when we had slacker gun control, murder DECREASED by 55%, BUT since the new, stricter FCA has come into effect, murder increased by 35%???? Ok, given that it did come into effect in 2001 or there abouts.. point is that many people have handed in their LEGAL guns, and many are struggling to get guns in the last number of years... AND WE HAVE MORE MURDERS!!!! so clear evidence that disarming the public DOES cause more murders...

Or am I now again over simplifying things?

@JhbBoy, not implying YOU said this... I was just quoting from the article you posted...

Funny they said commenting on stats released by the saps.....hmmm not the most accurate source. Case in point farm murder numbers are totally misreported.

User

ISS and gfsa(and a few other entities) are all bedfellows,who share resources and that also includes receive funding from same sources. Look at the timing of this type of article, it's planted to coincide with,and designed to drum up public sympathy for the proposed amendments,etc that they are working on,though that slightly misfired yesterday at the PPC.

Auntie AK might also have in their employ at some stage,memory a bit hazy in that regard.

Also evil guns are to blame, not the abusive husband/wife/boyfriend or girlfriend.

User

The ISS is a FUCKING JOKE. I can say so because I knew and had regular contact with many of the DUMBFUCKS who worked there at some stage.

There is no fucking way that 6 out of 10 females (or males) are killed with guns. (Unless that statistic is restricted to cops who kill their partners with their duty pistols)

Most women who get murdered are beaten / stabbed / kicked / strangled to death. Go and visit a state mortuary if you don't believe me.

I know of several cases where SAPS and Metro members used their service pistols to kill their wifes/girlfriends. I call BS on these stats.

User

They're trying to ride the wave of this #sandtonShutdown thing. Sommer blaming guns in the process... It's classic "feel" don't "think" tactics