Default Firearm not stored at own premises

Hi All

I have a 38spl snubby that is licensed on Sec16. I shoot it a few times a year and I have it mainly as a BUG if something happens to my primary carry gun. I am in the process with another pistol, so when that license comes through I will be double sorted if the primary is out of action for whatever reason.

A few times a year I fly to another province to see the folks as well as for work purposes, and therefore am unarmed when I am there. Are there any legal implications if I have a small handgun safe installed at my folks place (I keep the keys so only I have access to it) and keep the snubby for when I visit? Would I need to let the local DFO know of the situation, do the safe inspection as normal, and then carry on, or do I need to register my folks place as my alternative residential address?

OR

Do I have to do the storage permit thing with my dad?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sure, the snubby is not a perfect SD gun, but it is what I have at the moment so please dont go into the whole revolver/pistol debate :)

Thanks
    TF

User

Default Re: Firearm not stored at own premises

Get legal opinion for that, but your other option is courier the same firearm to the closest gun shop before you leave and return it home in the same fashion. Less risky in my lay opinion.

Banned

Your firearms must be either with you, or in your home safe, or where you stay in a safe of which you have control, or in a gun shop, or on a storage permit in someone else's safe.

Get a storage permit.

User

Your firearm must be carried under your control or locked away in a safe that is fixed / installed. Simple as that.

If you weren't allowed to store your guns (in safe) at an address other than the one you are sleeping over tonight or this weekend, well then fuck you, you shouldn't EVER stay in a B&B or on holiday.

When I worked in Durban I had a safe for my EDC in the B&B I stayed at (arranged with the owners). When I stayed there (For almost 3 years) the rest of my guns were in a safe, NOT where I was. When I flew up to PTA once a month my G19 was in a safe, NOT where I was.

User

Speak to your DFO for their opinion, storage permit seems like a good idea.

User

A storage permit is for another person to store your firearm on your behalf , in a safe THEY have access to.

This is not the case.

Asking a DFO's opinion could go from "yeah just put it in your dads safe, no permit needed" to "change your address ". Both of which are wrong answers.

Your firearm must be stored as per the requirements laid out in the FCA and Regulations.

NOWHERE do those requirements state it must be a safe in your home, your home safe, etc