Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Which scope and bipod for DPMS Recon

Howsit all

I'd like some opinions on which scope to get for a 308 AR. Obviously it being in 308 I'd like to extend the range a bit. Ideally what I would like is a scope to use for 1-600 meters or so. What would be a low budget, medium budget and high budget option in each category? I paid for the rifle so don't want to do the injustice of getting a cheapie, but also don't want to spend R30K if I can help it.

Lastly, which bipods would you guys consider getting?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Which scope and bipod for DPMS Recon

Harris bipod with Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP scope (and an offset red dot)

lynx lx3 2.5 -15 ×50 tactical

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by PWdejager View Post
    Harris bipod with Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP scope (and an offset red dot)
    To the OP, I feel like you have heard this from someone else as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevin View Post
    To the OP, I feel like you have heard this from someone else as well.
    Yes indeed. But more opinions are always better I feel.

Although it does cause more confusion as well. :-)

User

What you going to use it for ?

Main AR is a 223 originally used for DMG at Tac Shac shoots but will be used for 3GN with Tac Shac.

This probably to be used now in 308 division 3GN events especially the advertised long range events that Tac Shac advertised.

308 will also be used at Sas events, especially if longer range shoots are included in the day's shooting.

User

So you will ideally want something with true 1x on the bottom end. I (and I am not a rifle guy so for what its worth) find using the main optic preferable to an offset when possible.

If 6 power is workable for you at the ranges you're going to shoot a Vortex Razor 1-6 is a great option. Otherwise a Swaro Z8i 1-8 would be pretty sweet.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    So you will ideally want something with true 1x on the bottom end. I (and I am not a rifle guy so for what its worth) find using the main optic preferable to an offset when possible.

If 6 power is workable for you at the ranges you're going to shoot a Vortex Razor 1-6 is a great option. Otherwise a Swaro Z8i 1-8 would be pretty sweet.
    The OP want's to take it out to 600m, hence my proposal for higher magnification.

I use a 1x6 and believe me after 300-400m it is not ideal. For 600m I definitely wont look at anything less than x15 magnification max.

If you look at the majority of competitive AR shooters (out to distances of 600m) you wont find a low magnification (sub x15) easily on their rifles.

Due to the short distance requirement as long as up to 600m, I cannot see another option than to combine a higher magnification optic with a red dot.

Only my opinion :)

User

Quote Originally Posted by PWdejager View Post
    If you look at the majority of competitive AR shooters (out to distances of 600m) you wont find a low magnification (sub x15) easily on their rifles.

Due to the short distance requirement as long as up to 600m, I cannot see another option than to combine a higher magnification optic with a red dot.
    Interesting observation...when we did the long range shooting course with Sean out near Broederstroom, he recommends not going over 10x for long range... my 1.5km hit was done with scope at 10 power...

Something like a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24 would be fine although I'm not a fan of the reticle. Alternatively something like the Vortex Razor 3-18 would also do fine, but that's rather expensive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast