User

Default Hornady GMX vs Barnes TTSX vs Nosler E-Tip in 308 Win

I'm selling my Zastava 7x64 due to grouping issues. The first shot goes where I aim, but the second and third shot opens up the group to a size which I can only describe as minute-of-serving tray. The double trigger also irritated me to no end.

I got a good deal on CZ550 in 308 Win which I'll use for both high chair, and driven hunting.

I will not be reloading.

Hunting distances rarely exceeds 100m, and I’m not comfortable shooting much farther than that in any case for safety reasons.

Game animals are mostly limited to roe deer (10 - 50 kg) and pigs which can range anything from 20kg to 100 + kg.

Therein lies the question: Which of the three monolithic bullets are softer? If I was hunting bigger animals, any one of those would get the job done. I’m just not sure if one of them is better for smaller game. I will be shooting the lightest available bullet version of the chosen brand.

I have it on good authority that the GMX expands better than Barnes, but as with everything, it’s a good idea to confirm from multiple sources.

Another alternative is bonded tin bullets in 170gr. A friend shot two roe deer yesterday with them, so I’m keen to get his feedback as well.

User

Default Re: Hornady GMX vs Barnes TTSX vs Nosler E-Tip in 308 Win

Both the GMX and E-tip is gilding metal, the barnes is pure copper.

In terms of expansion, I would say the nosler would expand the hardest, the GMX would be in between, the TTSX would expand the easiest.

User

In your neck of the woods, do you not get the S&B exergy?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    In your neck of the woods, do you not get the S&B exergy?
    We do, but they are getting less than stellar field reviews.

User

Stick with the original, go with the Barnes.

Use 150gr, upping the speed contributes towards fast expansion.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Stick with the original, go with the Barnes.Use 150gr, upping the speed contributes towards fast expansion.
    Shot. Thanks

User

I have shot ±250 animals, ranging from springbok to cape buffalo with the Hornady GMX in 6.5mm, .308" and .375" and ±150 animals ranging from springbok to eland with Barnes bullets (X, TSX, XLC and TTSX) in 6.5mm, 7mm, .308" and .375"caliber and either of these bullets will work well. I have not used the Nosler E-tip, so I can not comment on those.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    I have shot ±250 animals, ranging from springbok to cape buffalo with the Hornady GMX in 6.5mm, .308" and .375" and ±150 animals ranging from springbok to eland with Barnes bullets (X, TSX, XLC and TTSX) in 6.5mm, 7mm, .308" and .375"caliber and either of these bullets will work well. I have not used the Nosler E-tip, so I can not comment on those.
    Thanks for the info. I'll test both for accuracy and keep the one that shoots the best.