Default Golfing range finder

Hi folks

I need to range some spots to find a suitable area to shoot paper further out then the 200yards avaible at the moment. It's hills and valleys all around so my 50m tape won't help.

Has anybody used a golfing range finder with success? Are they worth looking at?

Banned

Default Re: Golfing range finder

Have you thought of using Google Earth if this is going to be a once off.

User

If you have a golfing rangefinder in your golf bat bag, I'm sure it'll work. However, I don't know if they compensate for the elevation angle like shooting rangefinders.

driepootx's suggestion is of course excellent, it'll give you horizontal projected distance.

My brother said the same thing earlier today will google it then☺saves me bothering the guys at the country club thanks

User

I used a GPS app on my Phone and my shooting rangefinder when laying out my 800m range on a flat range with a slight slope (30m over 800m) , the GPS and rangefinder corelated quite well over each 100m, within 1m per 100m on each 100m. Then again within 1m over 400m from the 400m target towards the shooting table and the 800m target.
    I cross checked the other positions over 400m distances and when the range showed up later on new Google Earth pictures GE with the targets vissible everything measured to within 1m over the 800m on Google earth.

I also used various ballistic calculators to calculate the influence the slope will have on my ballisctics and work out a cheat sheet for the range, but this turned out to be so little that I ended up ignoring it.

User

Download Google Earth on your phone. Works like a charm. I use it all the time, in the bush while hunting as well. Allows me to see the farm, how and where fences run and allows me to plan walked routes pretty well.