Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Grip size and small single stacks

Hi All

I was reading an old thread on grip size, mostly circumference. I read a comment from a prominent contributor who opined that " In my experience the rough rule of thumb is find the grip size that feels best, then go UP one size and you will likely have the size you shoot best."

Given this,how many of you add something like a Hogue beavertail or even talon grips to increase the circumference of small single stacks (G43, shield, LC9 type)? If so, how did it work out, if not why? I ask this within the context of handling a G43x and 48. Noticed significant increase in grip circumference (and length).

User

Default Re: Grip size and small single stacks

The small guns have small grips for the purpose of maximum concealability. I think it's counterproductive to then increase the size of the grip artificially.

On my game gun I did exactly as per the advice, even though the Medium grip "felt" better, I shoot it better with the Large grip, and also don't have issues with my thumb touching the slide release. I don't even have particularly large hands.

On the carry gun, the Large grip adds material exactly where I don't want it. So it wears the Medium grip. With the Shield, on the occasions I carry that, the reduced thickness both at the slide and grip honestly means the gun can disappear even under quite tight clothes. I'd definitely not compromise that advantage.

User

I handled and shot with my Glock 43 the weekend, coming from my Glock 45 and 34, I can say that I will in the future (when I eventually have all the licenses) practice the draw with the 43 as much as possible because the small grip makes it more difficult to grab and draw quickly, but Thats why I say ill practice it one million times and then some more.... I dont plan on adding a Hogue grip to it, otherwise I could have bought the Glock 26 and have 10+1 rounds instead of 6+1... Practice and training will even out the “disadvantage” of a small grip...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Last night I was busy writing some one liners down from the anti-anti-42 peeps. Then my Internets died, so I didnt post them

Here are 5 of them I can remember. Just because, en so aan, mos.

Instead of spending money making your smaller gun bigger, spend it buying a bigger gun

If a bigger grip will make you a better shooter, why do you still suck with a full size gun?

If your finger fits through the trigger guard, you are not the Wookie you thought you were.

You can have comfortable carry or comfortable shooting. If you think you have both, you are not doing one of them as well as you should.

If you are spending money making your gun easier to train with, you are missing the point of training.

oh and of course...

If you cannot get used to gripping something so small, ask your wife how SHE got used to it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Piet vWdVries View Post
    Last night I was busy writing some one liners down from the anti-anti-42 peeps. Then my Internets died, so I didnt post them

Instead of spending money making your smaller gun bigger, spend it buying a bigger gun

If a bigger grip will make you a better shooter, why do you still suck with a full size gun?

If your finger fits through the trigger guard, you are not the Wookie you thought you were.

You can have comfortable carry or comfortable shooting. If you think you have both, you are not doing one of them as well as you should.

If you are spending money making your gun easier to train with, you are missing the point of training.

oh and of course...

If you cannot get used to gripping something so small, ask your wife how SHE got used to it.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

This is very true! That is why at my club and between friends we always have a "in good spirits squabble" about Glocks and CZ. I am a Glock fan as I carry it always and my competition shooting is for my own skills, so it is done with my carry Glock as well. A CZ might have a better trigger or be more accurate or shoot "easier" etc ??? I am not stating it, it is just what I hear from the others in the discourse.

On grip size: I have small hands. My Gen 4 G19 without any backstraps added feel the best in my hands but I shoot better with the Medium strap. It is not making a huge difference with concealment.

Same goes with my wife and her G43. With a +2 shoe and some sort of rubber sock on the grip she does shoot a wee bit better, but concealment goes down the drain. So she carries it with the flush mags and nothing on the grip and spare mags have +2 shoes. For her deep concealing is more important than more comfortable shooting as she has a ingrained fear of her gun being taken and used against herself. The slightest printing and accessories or holsters get chucked. I know how and where she carries and cannot see when she does. Has to ask.

She handles a G26 with large back straps just fine.....

Quote Originally Posted by Piet vWdVries View Post

oh and of course...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ikhwane View Post
    She handles a G26 with large back straps just fine.....
    Ah, so a short barrel.

Modest barrel....superior gripping surface. We are talking about guns here?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ikhwane View Post
    Hi All

I was reading an old thread on grip size, mostly circumference. I read a comment from a prominent contributor who opined that " In my experience the rough rule of thumb is find the grip size that feels best, then go UP one size and you will likely have the size you shoot best."

Given this,how many of you add something like a Hogue beavertail or even talon grips to increase the circumference of small single stacks (G43, shield, LC9 type)? If so, how did it work out, if not why? I ask this within the context of handling a G43x and 48. Noticed significant increase in grip circumference (and length).
    A Talon grip on a shield or any other gun adds hardly anything to the size of the grip.
    It's only under a mm in thickness

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast