User

Default 1:8" Twist 223 Howa Rifles

I never knew or suspected these items to exist. The 223's are normally made with 1:12" twist and a few slipped through with 1:9" barrels a few years ago.

Imagine my surprise when I walked into a local gunshop and they had 5 Howa standard rifles in 223 calibre with "1:8" Twist" stamped on the barrel near the caliber marking.

This faster twist rate has fascinated me for a while, ever since I started playing with a Tikka Varminter with the same twist (all in 223 Rem of course).

So I bought another 223. Now for the paperwork and load development. I have a box of 80gn Nosler CC's that the Tikka hates. Hope the Japanese will like these.

Any suggestions?

Banned

Default Re: 1:8" Twist 223 Howa Rifles

80 grainers normally need closer to 1 in 7. Maybe your lucky and it works.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    I never knew or suspected these items to exist. The 223's are normally made with 1:12" twist and a few slipped through with 1:9" barrels a few years ago.
    You should read more :)

Post 17#

http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...s-22-250/page2

Banned

Yea Cody's 223 from way back when I was asking about bullet selection posts is a 1:9 as per sales, but they closer to 1:8.5 if measured. Ruger All American. Its getting hard to find 1:12 and 14 these days - everyone went 1 in 7 -8 - 9 about 3/4 years back.
    You are likely going to battle with the 80 gr bullets, they really need that 1:7 all the way. I found even the 70 gr bullets battled some what in the Ruger.
    65 Gr any make just worked easily from start. 68 gr bullets as well, but the 70 gr kept having a flyer how there and ever so often.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    You are likely going to battle with the 80 gr bullets, they really need that 1:7 all the way...
    Gyroscopic stability factor calculates at 1.41, so yes, I may have issues. Will test and see.