Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default AR15 help! Buyer spinning like - err - something that spins a lot

Hey guys

I have made the decision to get to get an AR15 and have been poring over research and reviews for hours! But I’m starting to spin on this and am getting myself completely stuck.

I want to get this for playing with at the range and to hopefully do some tactical courses. In truth, I am probably not going to get to shoot as much as I would like given other things demanding my time, but if I am honest with myself, I want one because I love guns and would enjoy having one.

So to start - I want and AR15 on which I will mount some optics (either and Aimpoint micro-H2 or an Eotech XPS2). I will also want to mount a vertical foregrip and (later maybe) a light.

I started looking and quickly narrowed it down to the S&W MP15 Sport 2 or the Ruger 556. However when I handled these, they just felt a little too - shall we say “cheap”?? Maybe it’s in my mind but they just felt a little toy like - with the stock wobbling perhaps more than I’d like and the triggers feeling a little meh. As the salesmen were quick to point out - that’s to be expected when you buy an “entry-level” rifle. Ok. Noted.

So then I was introduced to the Savage Recon, which seems to me - in my opinion obviously- to be a better rifle. Stock is pretty damn solid and the trigger has been upgraded. It already has a free float M-Lok hand guard. And it’s not light years more pricey.. So.. easy game, right?

Well - except that it’s not so easy. Because if I’m honest with myself - I just don’t like the look. Now wait - hold your fire! Pretty sure someone is going to jump on me telling me that function is more important than looks etc. I get it! But here’s the thing - I’m buying this to spoil myself. I know myself. If I buy something that I don’t like aesthetically - I’m going to have buyers remorse. And it’s not a tiny amount off money... So I need to like “the look”.

So what look do I like? Well - I like the M4 look with the A2 front sight. I don’t mind having to replace the front hand guard with a drop in rail that still keeps the FSB. The M-Lok drew float rail that comes with the Savage Recon just looks too futuristic for me. I want something that looks more - military?

So - can I ask for your thoughts? Where could I look for a good AR15 that has all the quality of the Savage Recon (wrt to trigger, stock, barrel, reliability etc) but with the A2 FSB still in place? In terms of budget - on the rifle only - I guess I can spend up R30k but I don’t need to if there are better options at a lower price range.

Feel free to convince me that I’m wrong about the MP15 Sport 2 for example - maybe I just need to replace the stock, hand guard and trigger ??

Please help - I’m driving myself a little nuts!!!

Thanks.

B20

User

Default Re: AR15 help! Buyer spinning like - err - something that spins a lot

The key thing about an AR is that you can replace things and make it your own.

Buy the M&P sport, a few mags, lots of ammo and some accessories.

As you said, you won’t be shooting this thing a lot and I would even say that instead of a red dot, get a nice 1-6/8 scope to go along with your rifle.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pdh View Post
    The key thing about an AR is that you can replace things and make it your own.

Buy the M&P sport, a few mags, lots of ammo and some accessories.

As you said, you won’t be shooting this thing a lot and I would even say that instead of a red dot, get a nice 1-6/8 scope to go along with your rifle.
    So you are thinking you think the MP Sport is as good as it gets if you want a rifle with an A2 front site? There’s no other options?

What would you recommend as a replacement for the stock on that case?

User

No, that is not what I am saying. I am saying that if you have a budget, include ammo and all the accessories you will want to buy into the budget. The sport will treat you fine for what you want to do with it.

And it’s better to leave the A2 post back in Vietnam where it belongs :)

Banned

Hope this helps to get the aesthetics right: http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...how-us-your-AR!

Consider Norinco and Bushmaster.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pdh View Post
    No, that is not what I am saying. I am saying that if you have a budget, include ammo and all the accessories you will want to buy into the budget. The sport will treat you fine for what you want to do with it.

And it’s better to leave the A2 post back in Vietnam where it belongs :)

Yeah - I don't know what it is - but I just like the look of nice 7 inch rail that covers right up to the A2 front sight post.

Something like this:

AR Rail 1.jpg

User

This here is my ideal:

Stag 15 M4. Cred: @sal_gunz

Stag Arms M4.jpg

Anyone know where one might find a Stag Arms 15 M4? Think Spartan Arms used to stock these but not anymore.

Any thoughts on this rifle?

User

The Stag Arms in the for sale forum seems like a good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by mozee View Post
    The Stag Arms in the for sale forum seems like a good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I won't lie - this looks like a fantastic deal. However, unfortunately comes down to the points made in the original post - i.e. around the look ..

Thanks though !

User

Why not buy an airsoft gun if you just want something that looks cool,

Its cheaper,
    You can have it now,
    And you can mount it on the wall...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast