Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Must have’s

Default Must have’s

Hi All

So I’m new to the whole concept of FA and have recently purchased my firearm and applying etc.

A few questions I was looking for help on:

What is the must haves prior to getting my FA? Holster would seem obvious but what else?

What is the recommendations around EDC stuff? Knife etc.

Thanks.

User

Default Re: Must have’s

Hi Mohamed - get yourself a decent belt as well.

Lots previously discussed here in this regard.

User

I second the belt suggestion, get a good gun belt. Hailstorm and Jizni are good places to look.

User

The best hearing and eye protection you can afford. You"ll appreciate it later on in life. If you want to do sport shooting, visit n match or 2 and see if you can find a "mentor", it will/might save you a lot of money before buying the "not so right" stuff".

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    The best hearing and eye protection you can afford. You"ll appreciate it later on in life. If you want to do sport shooting, visit n match or 2 and see if you can find a "mentor", it will/might save you a lot of money before buying the "not so right" stuff".
    Thank you. I’ve done a search on the threads regarding good muffs and still haven’t seen anything that is well recommended by a wide audience. Do you perhaps have any suggestions regarding these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Where are you based? What did you get? like the guys say, good holster (or 2, for daily EDC and for range work / sports), mag pouch, belt, eyes and ear protection. Would also recommend extra mags while you wait for your approval.
    A basic fundamentals training course with a reputable trainer, imho is a must as soon as you get your FA

Quote Originally Posted by sakush View Post
    Where are you based? What did you get? like the guys say, good holster (or 2, for daily EDC and for range work / sports), mag pouch, belt, eyes and ear protection. Would also recommend extra mags while you wait for your approval.
    A basic fundamentals training course with a reputable trainer, imho is a must as soon as you get your FA
    Hi Salish,

I’m based in Jhb. I’m planning on doing a FA beginners course, just haven’t found the place to do it yet.
    Trying to find the ear protection is harder than I thought.

User

Quote Originally Posted by mohamedk.khan View Post
    Thank you. I’ve done a search on the threads regarding good muffs and still haven’t seen anything that is well recommended by a wide audience. Do you perhaps have any suggestions regarding these?

All depend on the size of your wallet. I love my MSA Sordin Supreme's but I gave them to my son due to my hearing been "shot" already. If you are on a tight budget, get a set of decent passive muffs who can take Gel pads (I'm thinking of Peltor or the like) and then as soon as possible replace the pads with gel seals. It seals a lot better around your glasses and at the same time are super comfortable. For extra protection or when shooting alone, use normal cheap disposable plugs under the muffs.

User

MSA Sordin with gel pads. Not cheap but then again your hearing is not replaceable.

User

Adopting the buy once cry once approach IMO to save money in the long run is optimal, many of the below suggestions will incorporate it!
    - Good spare magazine holster, on that note try avoid j-clips and use c-clips and soft loops (with or without struts) as they're more secure!
    - A belt but IMO one that uses the ratcheting system e.g. Kore (sold by Hailstorm) is a good option due to the incremental adjustments that can be made vs traditional belts!
    - Ear muffs e.g. Howard Leights (with gel cups for added comfort), Razor Walkers or Peltors, MSA Sordins if the budget allows, there is nothing wrong with the first 2 brands mentioned from my research.
    - quality eye protection, look if it complies with the ANSI Z87.1 and MIL PRF-31013 standard.
    - WML such as the O Light PL Mini 2 (used by the majority of people in SA), the reason I say this is that if you choose this down the line you will have to replace your holster, hence save money now and purchase a WML off the bat. This can't replace a handheld torch!
    - a good handheld torch with sufficient lumens, not one sold by Makro, Cape Union Mart etc.
    - OC (pepper spray) direct stream e.g. Foxx Labs or Sabre Red (Sabre is more widely available in SA)
    - a fixed blade knife for purely defensive purposes (this requires consideration into the blade design as well as training to use it effectively). I'm not into knife fighting at all, but go search the 21 foot rule when attempting to draw on an attacker and you'll see the benefit of having one plus other reasons.
    - a folding knife for miscellaneous tasks to avoid using your defensive blade
    - a tourniquet to be carried on you (either a genuine CAT or a SOFT T wide, preferably the latest gen) coupled with a Stop The Bleed course to have the knowledge to apply it as well as the other life saving tools that the course teaches you, with time you can build an IFAK
    - go to Paratus.info and read the myriad of pertinent topics on EDC in a SA context which can help with mindset and the above mentioned items

once you receive your licence:
    -quality JHP EDC ammunition, Winchester Ranger T's are the most widely used in SA due to cost, availbility and overall QC.
    - most importantly go seek accredited trainers out to improve your skills and then use your ammo to practice these skills, instead of going to the range of and doing tacti-cool stuff and mag dumps! You can start the search now though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast