Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Adjustable Low Profile Gas Blocks

From my research it appears that having an adjustable low profile gas block on an AR15 offers more benefits versus a non adjustable gas block, provided it is made of steel and not aluminium. Is it worth the extra money to go with a well known brand such as Odin, JP enterprises etc. What other brands are worth looking at that are available in SA? Which dealers have any of the above or recommended brands in stock/stocks them?

User

Default Re: Adjustable Low Profile Gas Blocks

I suppose the major question is do you actually need one right now?

Anyhoo, 556 Tactical in Benoni stock the Odin Works range of products.

User

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceOfficer View Post
    I suppose the major question is do you actually need one right now?

Anyhoo, 556 Tactical in Benoni stock the Odin Works range of products.
    My line of thought was if I'm going to purchase a free floating handguard, I'm going to need a low profile gas block. So I thought I may as well buy once cry once and get an adjustable gas block and adjust it to the ammo I will use. Or would the money be better spent on ammo and a non adjustable run of the mill gas block?

User

Getting a JP adjustable gas block will run you back quite a bit of money.

I use one but have not tinkered with different buffers or low mass bolt carriers yet.

A standard mil spec will do you just fine for now. And there is always a market for them if you want to change to adjustable later

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn881 View Post
    From my research it appears that having an adjustable low profile gas block on an AR15 offers more benefits versus a non adjustable gas block, provided it is made of steel and not aluminium. Is it worth the extra money to go with a well known brand such as Odin, JP enterprises etc. What other brands are worth looking at that are available in SA? Which dealers have any of the above or recommended brands in stock/stocks them?
    Are you going to run a suppressor? If not, go with a standard low-profile gas block. I put a Geissle on my last rifle, which was solid and not expensive (+-R600).

Get rifle and shoot, free float handguards and adjustable gas blocks are a waste of time and money (suppressor use aside). You may need an H2 buffer if you buy a typical commercial rifle as they are usually a bit over gassed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brendank View Post
    Are you going to run a suppressor? If not, go with a standard low-profile gas block. I put a Geissle on my last rifle, which was solid and not expensive (+-R600).
    I'm not going to be running a suppressor. Just a DPMS Miculek muzzle break.

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    Get rifle and shoot, free float handguards and adjustable gas blocks are a waste of time and money (suppressor use aside). You may need an H2 buffer if you buy a typical commercial rifle as they are usually a bit over gassed.
    I don't have experience but from my research based on reliable sources I'd have to disagree with you, a free floating handguard offers numerous benefits.

User

The vast majority of sport shooters are going to disagree with you for several reasons.

User

Get rifle and shoot, free float handguards and adjustable gas blocks are a waste of time and money (suppressor use aside).
    Yeah, no In my opinion a free float hand guard is a must, purely so there is more room to get your support hand out further. The accuracy it provides comes second.Carbine handguards and vertical grips should stay in counter strike, where they belong

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn881 View Post
    I had a look at my previous non adjustable gas block and compared it to the new adjustable one and I am thinking to drill, tap and modify a cap-screw to convert it to a adjustable block.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast