Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Adjustable Low Profile Gas Blocks

Quote Originally Posted by D-S View Post
    The vast majority of sport shooters are going to disagree with you for several reasons.
    I had to install a adjustable block, due to my rifle ripping part of the rims off about 5% of my reloads and factory ammo and seriously damaged all the other rims.

The vast majority of sport shooters are going to disagree with you for several reasons.
    Benchrest aside, for 90% or more of us it is not the factor that makes a measurable difference.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    Benchrest aside, for 90% or more of us it is not the factor that makes a measurable difference.
    I disagree - the vast majority of sport shooters who use ARs are 3 gun type shooters in USPSA, IPSC, 3 Gun Nation etc and they will all prefer the upgrades because it gives an edge.

As pdh also said.

I disagree - the vast majority of sport shooters who use ARs are 3 gun type shooters in USPSA, IPSC, 3 Gun Nation etc and they will all prefer the upgrades because it gives an edge.

As pdh also said.
    Pretty sure that the guys that win get their edge from practice. Yea a free float handguard feels good but in reality it won't make anyone a better shooter. Benchrest aside the difference in accuracy is just not measurable. Heck even off a bench there are days I shoot better with M4 handguards than free float.

User

Except it isn’t all about accuracy.

Its more about being able to control the muzzle, both during firing and transitions. Driving the gun if you want to use the lingo.

User

Heck even off a bench there are days I shoot better with M4 handguards than free float.
    I’d bet you weren’t shooting against the clock, nor from an akward position or bipod. If it didn’t make a difference, you would see some of the top guys using them.

An adjustable gas block with a lightened bolt carrier makes an enormous difference. It’s like comparing an Amarok with an 1990’s Isuzu KB.

User

I recall Hailstorm keeping Ergo adjustable gas blocks... Not sure if they still do

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    I’d bet you weren’t shooting against the clock, nor from an akward position or bipod. If it didn’t make a difference, you would see some of the top guys using them.

An adjustable gas block with a lightened bolt carrier makes an enormous difference. It’s like comparing an Amarok with an 1990’s Isuzu KB.
    Yea but here you are trying to turning an Isuzu (M4 commercial overgassed) into an Amarok instead of starting with a properly set up rifle gas system. Some minor load development and a heavy barrel and the results are quite astounding. This without using an adjustor that will likely carbon in place. In fact even on an M4 the first port of call is load development,buffer and possibly flash hider. The scope weight even makes a difference. As for handguards they are not magically going to turn anyone into a rifle shooter any more than owning a cz shadow guarantee's that you will beat the guy with the Glock. Seen it all too many times. But yes I get and appreciate that this is all about playing with toys and having fun.

User

Pretty sure that the guys that win get their edge from practice. Yea a free float handguard feels good but in reality it won't make anyone a better shooter. Benchrest aside the difference in accuracy is just not measurable. Heck even off a bench there are days I shoot better with M4 handguards than free float.
    Their advantage is mainly ergonomic. And there it’s a massive advantage

Allowing better technique is exactly one of those things that makes you a better shooter.

Also for the things we own AR’s for in SA, the ability to jam the foreend against something to use as a rest or support can be a very real advantage.

I’m unsure why you’ve chosen to plant your play so firmly on this topic.

Pretty sure that the guys that win get their edge from practice.
    Practicing with a free float handguard will allow you to become proficient in a more modern tecnique than with an M4 handguard.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast