User

Default Details for buying a firearm from another person. Steps, Documents, and Storage for period

Hi everyone

I am interested in buying a firearm from one of my work colleagues.

It just to hard to resist I must say.

What is the steps, documents, storage etc for this type of sale and how do we go forward on this sale to make the transaction as smooth as possible (both our sides, the SAPS and CFR side)?

The license has been renewed in April this year so the license is valid and myself have completed the Competency Training and received the Competency Card for this type of firearm.

Default Re: Details for buying a firearm from another person. Steps, Documents, and Storage for period

If you both trust each other, and provided he's not in a hurry to get it off his name, then he can just store it for you while your application is in.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: Details for buying a firearm from another person. Steps, Documents, and Storage for period

If you really want it sorted at a shop just store it in his name, no need to transfer it onto the dealer stock. Then apply for license as per normal. You pay for the storage not the seller. All that is needed is:
    Seller to sign SAPS271
    Seller to provide certified copy of license and ID
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

So in other words the firearm does not need to be booked in at a dealer for this period and can be kept by him until license is approved for me then I collect from him?

User

Quote Originally Posted by John87 View Post
    So in other words the firearm does not need to be booked in at a dealer for this period and can be kept by him until license is approved for me then I collect from him?
    That is correct.

User

Not quite, in my opinion...

I'd rather get the local DFO to approve whatever your arrangement is.

Prohibition of unlicensed trading in firearms or ammunition
    31. (1) No person may trade in any firearm or ammunition without a dealer’s licence.
    (2) Subject to subsection (3), a person who is not a dealer may dispose of a firearm or ammunition only through a dealer or as otherwise provided for in this Act.
    (3)A person who wishes to sell or donate a firearm to a willing buyer or donee, as the case may be, may do so without the intervention of a dealer, but on such conditions as the Designated Firearms Officer may determine.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by JhbBoy View Post
    Not quite, in my opinion...

I'd rather get the local DFO to approve whatever your arrangement is.

Prohibition of unlicensed trading in firearms or ammunition
    31. (1) No person may trade in any firearm or ammunition without a dealer’s licence.
    (2) Subject to subsection (3), a person who is not a dealer may dispose of a firearm or ammunition only through a dealer or as otherwise provided for in this Act.
    (3)A person who wishes to sell or donate a firearm to a willing buyer or donee, as the case may be, may do so without the intervention of a dealer, but on such conditions as the Designated Firearms Officer may determine.
    Sold and bought plenty firearms privately and the only input from my DFO is checking the validly of the license on application.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.