User

Default Vortex Crossfire 6-18x44 vs Diamondback Tactical/Viper

Hi All

Recently got a crossfire 6-18x44 AO at a steel price so put it on my CZ 8x57 and went shooting this weekend to sight it in, upon trying to sight it in on 100m on 18x magnification and max objective it is extremely blurry IMO and this has left me worried when I go hunting and need to take 200M shot etc (my rudolph 5-25x50 is super crisp compared) .. Any other Crossfire users that can weight in ? is it worth selling and getting a diamondback or viper.. any input would be greatly appreciated

User

Default Re: Vortex Crossfire 6-18x44 vs Diamondback Tactical/Viper

Can't vouch for the Diamondback, but the Viper is way better than the Crossfire.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Schal View Post
    Hi All

Recently got a crossfire 6-18x44 AO at a steel price so put it on my CZ 8x57 and went shooting this weekend to sight it in, upon trying to sight it in on 100m on 18x magnification and max objective it is extremely blurry IMO and this has left me worried when I go hunting and need to take 200M shot etc (my rudolph 5-25x50 is super crisp compared) .. Any other Crossfire users that can weight in ? is it worth selling and getting a diamondback or viper.. any input would be greatly appreciated
    I would reckon that 18x magnification is way too much for most hunting applications at 200m. Having taken such shots with a fixed 4x scope and variables with 6 and 7x max magnifications, I am happy to recommend these. Shooting small varmints is another matter, but that's not what a 8x57 is normally employed for. Neither are long range shots.

I would rather invest in better lenses than more magnification. Something like a Viper with a max magnification below 12x at the most. 9x would be good already.

While Rudolph scopes seem well made in general, I would rather go for a Vortex as they have the best warranty in the bussiness. Rudolph has that fine print...

Banned

All stated in relation to hunting application ---I have some scopes - 4 x through to 24 x, I have found the scope more and more difficult to use from 18 x up, I also battle with adjustments and clear pic - till proven other wise I believe its my 50 yr old eyes. I have also found that finding a a target is very difficult above 16/ 18 x - I have to find at 9 x and then dial in to higher, not good for hunting - but works for crows etc.
    If you hunting table fair and you need more than a 9 - 12 x max scope you shooting too far, or you not hunting - you shooting. Vortex burris Redfield all make real nice 3 - 9 about scopes.
    I am a victim of more is better myself, I have a 16 x 24 x and a 18 x scope with only a real use for one of them, 4 of my 16 x + rifles are now back on 9 x max scopes.
    Dunno if this helps ????
    - one thing, a real good 9 x scope like a Burris or Leopold with better than your eyes kinda glass is soooooo much nicer to use than entry level 20 power scope /quality over magnification any time.

User

Did you focus the crosshair properly? Easiest way is to look at blue sky and if not crisp and clear adjust at the back.

Did you set the parallax correctly. ?

User

The crossfire range is really budget stuff, assembled in PRC, next up in the range is assembled in the Philippines.

I had a crossfire 3=9X 40 with bdc reticle, it was a nightmare to keep focused. followed the focus procedure numerous times but no way would it stay that way, even in one range session. I only used it on 5x magnification but hell what a battle.

Moved on to a budget Leupold, never experienced the problem again.