Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Loose Barrel

Banned

Default Re: Loose Barrel

Thanks Guys and thanks for the 'photo Andrew... Much appreciated.
    All is now good.
    The rifle only has the two screws...Not three that I could see anyway.
    Both of which were loose...One very loose !
    The 'turnscrews' fitted the slotted heads on the screws perfectly and I was able to really tighten them up, after putting a dab of 'easy undo' [blue] loctite onto each one.
    Off to the range [Guns@Work] tomorrow to see how things go.
    Thanks again for the help and advice.
    Regards and enjoy the rest of the weekend.
    Keith.

Keith,

your groupings should improve greatly as a result.

I assume you checked your other rifles?

Cheers
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

Thanks Andrew
    Yes.....

User

I like those older Brno ZKK600-series rifles a lot. However, I have often joked that their stocks were likely inletted by by drunk Chech with an axe in the dark. It is ROUGH.

The fix is to properly bed the barreled action in the stock. I like to use some kind of epoxy for the job. With the ZKK601 (and similar), do decide what you want to do with the 3rd screw under the rear sight. The ZKK602 (magnum action) also has a 2nd recoil lug there, complicating things significantly.

An inspection of the rifle by a knowledgeable person should reveal wheither an bedding job is needed or not.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    I like those older Brno ZKK600-series rifles a lot. However, I have often joked that their stocks were likely inletted by by drunk Chech with an axe in the dark. It is ROUGH.The fix is to properly bed the barreled action in the stock. I like to use some kind of epoxy for the job. With the ZKK601 (and similar), do decide what you want to do with the 3rd screw under the rear sight. The ZKK602 (magnum action) also has a 2nd recoil lug there, complicating things significantly.An inspection of the rifle by a knowledgeable person should reveal wheither an bedding job is needed or not.
    To add to this, I had to free float my ZKK 601 barrel twice. Once when I got it and the rifle moved from Pretoria to Potch, and once again when we moved to Stella. The stock's front end is thin compared to other rifles, and the thin wood warps as the atmosphere changes. Even after free floating the barrel a second time, I had to remove small pressure spots again when the season changed. And yes, I agree on the drunken Chech theory.

hi Keith,

The reason why I found the problem was that when handling the rifle I noted that there was, to my mind, insufficient barrel channel clearance. The test for this is to place the rifle butt on the floor, grasp the barrel with your less useful hand, and then with the palm of your useful hand to firmly strike the forearm. I you hear a clunck then we would need to open you barrel channel to ensure that on recoil that the stock is not interfering with the barrel during firing.

The second test you can do is to take a A4 folio and to slip it up the channel. I should go all the way. If it does not the barrel channel will require attention. If it slips all the way then double the paper and repeat. Keep adding layers until there is slight friction. You can now measure the paper thickness to establish what your barrel channel relief is.

At a guess you should be at 0.8mm unless your forearm is thin and less rigid then one would need to increase the gap.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

Thanks Guys.
    The amount of knowledge on this forum is quite amazing.
    Regards.
    Keith.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    To add to this, I had to free float my ZKK 601 barrel twice. Once when I got it and the rifle moved from Pretoria to Potch, and once again when we moved to Stella. The stock's front end is thin compared to other rifles, and the thin wood warps as the atmosphere changes. Even after free floating the barrel a second time, I had to remove small pressure spots again when the season changed. And yes, I agree on the drunken Chech theory.
    It helps to seal the stock on the inside. So if your stock has an oil finish, also coat the inside surfaces (mag box, trigger recess, barrel channel) with some stock oil. This should help to prevent moisture from the atmosphere to enter (or leave) the stock during seasonal changes in humidity.

Do this after fixing the bedding, as epoxy will not cling well to an oiled stock.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    It helps to seal the stock on the inside. So if your stock has an oil finish, also coat the inside surfaces (mag box, trigger recess, barrel channel) with some stock oil. This should help to prevent moisture from the atmosphere to enter (or leave) the stock during seasonal changes in humidity.Do this after fixing the bedding, as epoxy will not cling well to an oiled stock.
    Will do, thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast