Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Private gun range (indoor) question

I think I should add that it'd all be done on my own property as we have suitable space (where there is nothing above ground that would be damaged by the 5-15 or so meter long tunnel... even if it ends up being 5 meters, I'd still have fun, but that's just me.)

also, I have considered underground pipes and wire systems. I'm not going to start digging when I know that there's something I can seriously damage by digging.

I have no intentions of going even near the edge of our own property's walls, let alone under the neighbor's property. Nor do I plan on making it so that I'd bother the neighbors either. I don't want problems with them, truthfully.

the tunnel itself will be far simpler than one'd expect. in a nutshell, the idea I have is like a trench, but with a concrete top or something over it (something that can withstand abuse). It'd kinda resemble a sidewalk from above. that part will require some thinking and that's probably the most expensive part, but again, I'm not planning on finishing it in a month or even 4... I'm gonna take my time to build it right, but also just for my own use.

what I'm trying to say is, it's not that complicated. I'm not going for anything fancy, I just want to enjoy some range time by myself without having to drive to a range every time and lug all my reloading tools and whatever other stuff I'd get later on with me. That's not fun, plus I like building things. always have.

The lighting and fans and soundproofing is all stuff I keep in mind too, as well as other things.

though, this is only If I decide to build it. I'll build it by myself as it's really not that much work nor am I in a rush (Plus I like a challenge). I just want to do it legally, and right now, that's the only thing holding me back. I don't want to break the law. I don't plan on doing any training, so training accreditation is not something I need, but due to it being in a built up area (and there are legal ranges in built up areas, so it is possible) I just need to know the exact procedures to go about using it legally.

... also, it's primarily gonna be a handgun range. for rifles I'd still go to a proper outdoor range.

User

Why not just join a club and use the range there? Great way to meet people with similar interests as well
    Plus I dont think its the norm to take any reloading gear with to the range, usually one would load at home, make notes if doing developments, go to range and make some more notes...
    but good luck to you with this ambition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

I would love a range at my house. Not having to drive far to go make bang.

Someone in Durbanville have done exactly that. I can't remember if it was 50 or 100m, but I do recall that it did have to be inspected by the police. So, it is not impossible. If I had R5 million at that time, I would have bought the house without blinking.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    Why not just join a club and use the range there? Great way to meet people with similar interests as well
    Plus I dont think its the norm to take any reloading gear with to the range, usually one would load at home, make notes if doing developments, go to range and make some more notes...
    but good luck to you with this ambition

yeah, you got a fair point, ey?
    I do plan on going to the range... rather often, but sometimes I'm just not in the mood to catch a lift or drive there myself. call me lazy, lol (.... mostly cos I am lazy :/ ) But the big reason is that I just... Enjoy shooting by myself. Then again, I'm odd, lol

User

I understand that you dont always “want to make a day” of it, but then again, how quickly are you going to get bored with a 5 or 10 meter range, you will be limited to what you can do or to how much fun you can have, and then another great part about going to the range is the Sun, gotta love the Sun

User

My question will be how much ammo are you going to use?

User

I can't help with the legalities, but I can help with understanding. I would love to get to the range more often, but factor in that the closes range is 30min away it means that any range trip is at least a 2 hour time commitment. That will only give you 30min of shooting as you still have to build and breakdown your targets etc.

Having a range at home, even a small one, will mean that I can do some shooting at home. do what you can in the small space daily and do one big range session a week, coupled with dry-fire and you can have a very balanced training setup that is time efficient.

User

What about using box culverts? You can sink them so deep into the ground as you like.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    What about using box culverts? You can sink them so deep into the ground as you like.
    Jip, this would be what I would use. They come pre-fabricated in a range of sizes, you just need to dig a trench and fill back up.

User

Quote Originally Posted by tobie View Post
    Jip, this would be what I would use. They come pre-fabricated in a range of sizes, you just need to dig a trench and fill back up.
    Any idea what the price is on box culverts? out of interest

Depending on span you could build it like a normal concrete roof. with lintels and precast blocks and then a concrete top. this should be easy to waterproof...

Prefab floor like eco prestress would make a quick roof after the walls are built.

If you use form work you could concrete everything in place in sections. With a small "workforce" this could work out well on a price/time basis.

There are a few tricks in soundproofing. If constructed correctly your ventilation system can self soundproof to a certain degree before using dampening materials. Basically every time the sound needs to bounce off a surface to get out it reduces in intensity. an S shape in the extraction and inlet will have a major impact on escaped sound. it will also negatively impact on ventilation efficiency which wants a straight line...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast