Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: buffalo hunting video is in YouTube. Google, Mkulu Hunting Safaris by Brian Gallupp

This is one of those topics where if you want to comment, then just delay your comment for a few days and think it over thoroughly.

That said, everybody in the world have a skewed perception on hunting.
    Myself for example, I think people that hunt from a vehicle are lazy, they deprive themselves of experiencing nature, they pay for a product but they get the receipt, nothing more.
    Being a human on a forum makes it easy to judge, no repercussions, see how easy it is?

So dangerous game hunting, the picture many people have in their minds just does not exist, it’s just something they make up. For many that dreams of hunting a buff in Africa that is just an illusion. You will fly to Africa, hunt in a fenced environment, you will have a PH that tells you everything you need to do, and many of those PH’s does not even track, they have a tracker. If you were to HUNT buff in reality you would be dropped off alone, you would go alone and track down animals, hunt and shoot something with no backup, only then will you be hunting.

Hunting these days is like driving formula 1 on a playstation, it’s cool, but it’s fake.
    It’s like a cowboy movie, all the old folk loves it, the days when you can have a good old bar fight before going to bed, wake up with a hangover but be ok with it because being a man is not for sissies. These days you can’t even look at someone funny without being charged with assault, yet all of us watch Jon Wick and think its cool, we live IN an illusion.

Now the problem, the Africa hunters dream of just does not exist anymore, all the glory days are gone, it now only lives in books, part of history. So what do we expect people to do, not take part in anything?

There are many people that would just love to see this activity declared a crime, they want hunting of any type gone. Hence I think we must chill out and let people do what they want, the only thing people must learn is to treat online media like their bedrooms, whatever happens in the bedroom is meant to stay private.

Default Re: buffalo hunting video is in YouTube. Google, Mkulu Hunting Safaris by Brian Gallupp

Thanks to Treeman and Messer for your respectful and level handed comments. You other opinionated experts might have just asked a question or two before you made your judgemental and fault finding comments. (I think it's fair to ask you to post a link to the videos that you have made of your buffalo hunts.)

This hunt was a cull hunt in a very dry season in the Low veld. Animals were dying and some farmers were supplementing with hay.
    I killed four of the cows from a hide at the water hole that you see in the video. I have not hunted from a hide at a water hole before and I enjoyed every minute of it. Birds and animals would come and go but when a herd of buffalo came pounding in, I found it very exciting and hope to do it again. ( I used to hunt trophy cape buffalo bulls but have come to appreciate hunting old worn out cows. I can afford to do more of it too!)

One of my objectives on this cull hunt was to get four similar shoulder shots at close range on old buffalo cows for research purposes. The hide by the water hole was perfect for that. After the hunt I wrote an article for publication that is also posted here on GunSite, about the Peregrine Bushmaster bullets and the Cutting Edge Bullets. I use my .577 NE barrel and my 50-110 Winchester barrel.

The job of videoing the hunt was graciously shared by my wife, Sandy and the backup PH, Johan. We had a lot of fun on the hunt and there were some intense times as well. For example the PH, Pieter Kriel got chased by a young buffalo bull. I will tell you that he can move like a cat in those sandals. He weaved through the mapane trees so fast that the trackers were very impressed. Pieter is an ex rugby player and fought in the border war in the bad old days. He has been a highly respected dangerous game PH for years. You might go on his web site, Mkulu Hunting Safaris. He shows photos videos and stories.

On this hunt we all got more into the hunting than the videoing and when I got back home to BC. Canada and went through our video footage I realized that we didn't take enough footage for a good video. So I forgot about the video project for about ten months. Finally I cobbled together, through some creative editing, the product you see here and it is clearly not my best work.

My single shot rifle is a home made, switch barrel rig and each barrel has a different scope. You can see that I magically switch scopes during the stalk. The kill shot took place one morning and the photo of me posing with the "trophy" is a different cow that I killed about 5:30 pm the next day.

Treeman said, generously, that he appreciated the dove calling. Apologies, Treeman, but the dove call is a canned sound track that I hijacked off of Google. The sins go on and on.

I thought that the project would just be source of enjoyment and thousands of viewers have found it so, in the short time that it has been on You Tube and international blogs. (I do get some kidding about the editing bloopers and Pieter's sandals. chuckle!)

Yes, Hunting has evolved over the years in your country and mine. My first "big game" hunt was for Prong Horn Antelope in southern Alberta with my father in 1958. I have seen changes too.

I have been fortunate enough for the last 12 years to be able to fly with my wife, to the other side of the globe and enjoy your wonderful country for a couple of months. Sometimes my family would come with me. Two weeks before this video hunt, my nine year old grandson hunted a blesbok and wildebeest on a friend's farm in the Waterburg mountains. My son Russel got married on that hunt with a nice formal bushveld ceremony.

I am telling all this to say that my family and I have come to love your country and feel a part of it. We hunt for a week or two then explore and visit friends, for the rest of the time.

Some things have changed with hunting in South Africa like the increase of smaller hunting farms and the increase in the extravagance of the hunting lodges.

Some things have not changed in 100 years, like the laws, rules and style of hunting . When I hunt in your country I always follow your rules and do as I'm told. There is always one or two trackers in front, followed by one or two PH, followed by one or two hunters. I only shoot when the PH gives me permission. All animals/meat are recovered and tips are given after the hunt for professional service. The only exception for me is that I ask to get close and only harvest old animals. ( my good shooting and trophy hunting days are behind me.)

Tourist and we travelling hunters especially, are like a life line to your shaky economy. I appreciate hunting in your country and you should be grateful too. I usually put about $20,000 USD into your economy each time I come as do thousands of other travelling hunters.

When I come back home I publish articles that praise your country. I seldom talk or write about the hate, crime, violence and corruption that is ever-present in some of you larger centres. You should not be so quick to condemn my hunting "authenticity" or my video. You sound like ingrates.

In 2020 we will return to South Africa to explore and visit friends, but not to hunt. I am booked for a buffalo bull hunt in Mozambique. Many travelling sportsmen hunt is South Africa for a while then go to hunt in other countries and seldom return to South Africa for hunting. It's a well known trend. Maybe some of you should think about that. Brian Gallup

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Abrum View Post
    Thanks to Treeman and Messer for your respectful and level handed comments.
    Treeman said, generously, that he appreciated the dove calling. Apologies, Treeman, but the dove call is a canned sound track that I hijacked off of Google. The sins go on and on.
    . Brian Gallup
    Geeeees - trust me to get the only "right" post I have done wrong.
    Luckily I am a Irish Dutchman, we laugh at it all.

User

Brian, I have read and enjoyed some of your articles published in African Outfitter previously. Your love for and positive portrayal of the country is beyond doubt.

I am sure that were the background to the video known beforehand, few negative comments would have been made.

Would like to get your take on why many overseas hunters prefer other African countries as a hunting destination.

treeman, I know. That's funny isn't it. At first i wasn't going to say anything but then I thought it might be good laugh for both of us. Cheers, Brian

FFourie, Thank you for your comment. Brian

User

Hi Brian,

Let me start off by first saying that we can have differences and still remain friends, or at the very least, friendly with one another.

I certainly am opinionated, an expert on hunting, definitely not. Even though freedom of speech is being unequally infringed upon in South Africa, we at least still have the liberty of voicing some of our opinions. I do however consider myself an expert when people try and sell me half- or flexi-truths as the whole or full truth. Reading your response, my suspicions that the footage compilation is not wholly true or authentic is obviously correct.

I am thrilled that you had a great time on your hunt. That is how it should be.

Saying that our economy is shaky is probably the kindest way to state that we will face serious hardships in coming times. Be absolutely sure our country appreciates your contribution, especially the government who will generate a tax income from your contribution that they can then line their pockets with. Your contribution however, does not buy a "dishonest" or "half-truth-ed" opinion from me. Did you think that your $20 000 entitles you to blanket approval from the lot of us? Surely we are entitled to give our own opinion, as we see it? If you weren't open to such critique, maybe you shouldn't have posted the video to the internet.

As far as you are publishing articles of your shooting and hunting adventures, good for you! I imagine you derive many hours of pleasure from them. However, you aren't doing us any favours by not publishing what, in truth, is happening in our larger centres. The wheels of our country are falling off, and no amount of not talking about the negatives, is going to fix that. Let's all just be honest about it all.

I did not condemn the "hunting authenticity" of your video either, I questioned it. I simply pointed out that the story that the filmmaker is trying to put forth is not wholly true or correct, as there are some parts that do not add up, and correctly so.

Let's look at the trend of hunters not returning to South Africa. I doubt that has anything to do with critique of the horrendous videos that so many of them produce. Maybe, maybe they just found somewhere new, or wait, even better to hunt? So be it. If it is so, it is the truth. Many local hunters share that sentiment.

In Afrikaans we have an old saying. (Moet my nie vertel dat perde drolle vye is nie.) Directly translated; Don't come and tell me that horse droppings are figs. The only reason I commented on the video, and I only saw it here. Is because when I watched it, I got the sense that the film maker is underestimating our intelligence, especially on this forum where many members could easily spot that parts of the story do not add up.

I enjoyed reading your rebuttal far more than I did watching the video.

Wishing you all the best for future hunts.

Regards,
    Wesley

User

I did my first buffalo hunt this year and i can tell you that a video does not nearly capture the experience of the hunt. Video cannot capture the emotions rushing at that point. It is a experience that i will never ever forget and dwarves any other hunting experience by a large margin. It was the single biggest experience of my life except maybe for the birth of my child😁
    The video on the other hand seems dumb and boring. So point is do not judge a video go and experience it for yourself costs these days are less than a big kudu bull and appreciate and respect the experiences of others

Banned

Guess your movie making is just not quiet National Geographic yet. They say its real hard in Hollywood, but Africa is harder and GunSite more so.

gertjie 87,
    I agree, a video, can be a pretty lame rendition of a buffalo hunt.
    Congratulations on your buffalo hunt. I would like to hear more about it. What calibre? What area? I am really addicted to buffalo hunting and now I don't hunt anything else. I would like to keep in touch with you. Kindred spirits! wbriangallup@gmail.com

My first buffalo had me scared stiff! I wrote about it in the story "Abrahams Grin." I think it is posted on Gunsite.

Cheers,
    Brian

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast