Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Pistol

User

Default Pocket Pistol

Morning, a question for the pin shooters. Just a conversation on what guys are using for pocket pistol. The rule book doesnt specify caliber, just barrel length including chamber. Tried making some calculations but most manufacturers just specify barrel length.

Aside from PPK's and 7.65mm guns, would the Glock 43 qualify? Ruger LCP I'm pretty sure would. The LC9? CZ83.

I'm already loading for 9mmp, hence the Glock 43. Not a train smash if I need to buy in another caliber, since the electives are only shot a few times a year.

What do you guys use?

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Pocket Pistol

I personally use a Glock 43 for Pocket Pistol. As long as the barrel length does not exceed 99mm, any caliber can be used.

G43, Ruger LCP, LC9, CZ83 all have barrel lengths under 99mm.

User

Using a G26

User

Thanks. I have not read that before. 99mm would allow most of the Glock sub compacts. Like Beasts 26. Any Caliber restrictions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojojojo View Post
    I personally use a Glock 43 for Pocket Pistol. As long as the barrel length does not exceed 99mm, any caliber can be used.

G43, Ruger LCP, LC9, CZ83 all have barrel lengths under 99mm.

User

Rule Book Definition is as follows:
    Pocket Pistol
    A “pocket pistol” by definition shall mean a centre-fire pistol with a barrel length including
    chamber of less than 3.875” (99mm) in length. To determine this length, the total barrel
    length, from breech face to the furthest forward part of the firearm, will determine the
    length.

So no restrictions on Caliber, as long as it is centre-fire.

Similar rules apply to Snubby Revolver where the barrel length is restricted to 76mm. There is a distinguished gentleman who shoots a 44magnum with a very short barrel.

User

Great, thanks Mojo. Good news. Was leaning more towards a 26 than a 43.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojojojo View Post
    Rule Book Definition is as follows:
    Pocket Pistol
    A “pocket pistol” by definition shall mean a centre-fire pistol with a barrel length including
    chamber of less than 3.875” (99mm) in length. To determine this length, the total barrel
    length, from breech face to the furthest forward part of the firearm, will determine the
    length.

So no restrictions on Caliber, as long as it is centre-fire.

Similar rules apply to Snubby Revolver where the barrel length is restricted to 76mm. There is a distinguished gentleman who shoots a 44magnum with a very short barrel.

User

All the subcompact Glocks will fit. This includes models 26, 27, 28, 29 (jay!), 30, 33, 36, 39, 42, 43 and 43X. The 19 and similar are too long by about 6mm.

An older S&W M&P9C seems to fit, as does the Shield.

The CZ75 Compact, P01, P07 and 83 fit.

An easy way to determine barrel lenth for this purpose, is to unload the pistol, keep it cocked (not dry-fired), and insert a 6mm wooden dowel into the barrel untill it buts against the breech face. Draw a line at the muzzle and measure. Check for parts that protrude further forward than the muzzle, like guide rods, barrel bushings or other appendages. This does not always correspond 100% with the manufacturer's barrel length specs.

Mojojojo. That gentleman and his daughter seem to like shooting the Frankensnubby.

User

Thanks AR. You seem especially excited about that G29. Itching to get a 10mm? :)
    Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    All the subcompact Glocks will fit. This includes models 26, 27, 28, 29 (jay!), 30, 33, 36, 39, 42, 43 and 43X. The 19 and similar are too long by about 6mm.

An older S&W M&P9C seems to fit, as does the Shield.

The CZ75 Compact, P01, P07 and 83 fit.

An easy way to determine barrel lenth for this purpose, is to unload the pistol, keep it cocked (not dry-fired), and insert a 6mm wooden dowel into the barrel untill it buts against the breech face. Draw a line at the muzzle and measure. Check for parts that protrude further forward than the muzzle, like guide rods, barrel bushings or other appendages. This does not always correspond 100% with the manufacturer's barrel length specs.

Mojojojo. That gentleman and his daughter seem to like shooting the Frankensnubby.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MANNY82 View Post
    Thanks AR. You seem especially excited about that G29. Itching to get a 10mm? :)
    I have a G20 and love it. However, the 10mm is quite a handfull to control, especially when shooting it fast. That is in the full-size pistol. The compact G29 will likely be even more lively. This should be quite an experience to shoot fast. I suspect it's best work is done when loaded down to 40S&W power levels to make it more controlable.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    I have a G20 and love it. However, the 10mm is quite a handfull to control, especially when shooting it fast. That is in the full-size pistol. The compact G29 will likely be even more lively. This should be quite an experience to shoot fast. I suspect it's best work is done when loaded down to 40S&W power levels to make it more controlable.
    The G20 and G29 are not really hard to shoot and Glock tames the full power 10 like no other handgun does.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast