Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Smartreloader SR916 Hand Primer

Good day.

Any members here have experience with this item ? I am planning on replacing my Lee Hand primer that's giving me frequent headaches.

Mrs Google has conflicting reviews and this bothers me. If I had more ching I would settle for the RCBS, but I can get the SR916 at a special price.

Your thoughts please.

Regards.

KZ

Banned

Default Re: Smartreloader SR916 Hand Primer

Have you had a look at the Lee Bench Primer?

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

How about the RCBS HAND PRIMING TOOL?
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

KK has a point, the RCBS is very sturdy. Quality looks much better than the Lee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    Have you had a look at the Lee Bench Primer?
    This is a PIA

User

I have the Lee Ergo prime. It uses the same primer feed system as the Bench Prime, just it is hand held.

The primer feed mechanism is a PITA. It frequently manages to get a primer jammed somehow. When this happens, the primer does not detonate, since the housing gives way and cracks. Very safe and a huge pain. Lee will mail you a new part, but only one at a time. And the mail takes time. Lots of time.

I have 2 of the original Lee Auto-Prime hand-held priming tools. They have given me excellent service for may years. They are also wearing out and parts are not available anymore. When that happens, I will be stuck with more basic, much slower priming tools.

I have heard a few good things about the RCBS hand-held priming tool. No first-hand experience yet. If it works, it may be well worth the somewhat hefty price.

I also have an older bench-mounted RCBS priming tool of the older type that still works with the brass tubes. There are some risks to using the tubes, as quite a few have managed to detonate. It also puts some strain on muscles that I seem not to use frequently, so higher volumes tend to get painful. However, it till works well and seats the primers much more positively that any hand-held tools that I have used.

I know nothing about the Smart Reloader priming tool.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KK20 View Post
    This is a PIA
    I hope you wrong, I really want one. Its the first priming tool I have seen that is designed in a way that makes sense to me. Only negative I could see with out using it is that its not so prime where and when you want.
    What was your experience leading to PIA statement - ( hopefully of value to OP as well).

I am faster with my handheld than with this one. I have a better "feel" of the primer seating than this one. The ergonomics makes me rather use the auto prime unit on my LEE C press.

( this thread made me remember that a member of GS borrowed my RCBS unit as well as my RCBS uniflow and has not returned it gone 2 years now ..)

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    I hope you wrong, I really want one. Its the first priming tool I have seen that is designed in a way that makes sense to me. Only negative I could see with out using it is that its not so prime where and when you want.
    What was your experience leading to PIA statement - ( hopefully of value to OP as well).
    The OP asked about hand priming unit ..

The RCBS unit may be more expensive but it worth the money.

Thank you for the replies everyone.

Yes K, if my budget allowed for more I would invest in a RCBS. Honestly the Lee gave me fairly good service. I mangled mine when using Unis Ginex primers last year.Ever since it is very unreliable.

I do a lot of handpriming. I was hoping for firsthand experience of anyone on GS.

I can get the SR for R275 (50%) on the last one and old stock.

Otherwise I must save myself more pain and save up for the RCBS.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast