Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Arizona perspectives

Several posts following my introduction asked for perspectives from the viewpoint of a non-African citizen. Likely of the most interest to all are local gun laws. Simply put, it’s pretty straight forward in Arizona, the most gun friendly state in the U.S. Open carry of firearms is allowed and there is no requirement (read tax) for concealed carry. Contrary to the predictions of the anti-gun crowd of impending blood running in the streets after adopting these laws (or lack there of) crime still exists here but violent crime is down in spite of a seven fold increase in population levels since 1960. There are generally a lack of places to shoot and public hunting is getting harder to find due to increases in private ownership but opportunities are still available. Sadly, we do not enjoy the quality, quantity or diversity of game animals you enjoy there. The trend here is one of aging in the hunting and shooting sports but participation by women is increasing.

i hope this is of interest to the members here. Next post, how about local choices in hunting guns and calibers?

User

Default Re: Arizona perspectives

Interesting thanks. Yes,our hunting opportunities here are endless,provided you have either contacts or a large bank account.
    Hunting guns,calibers and species hunted would be very interesting. At a guess,i would imagine you chaps fancy the flatter shooting calibers in your state.

Banned

Regarding hunting guns and calibres: SA with its British colonial history had many 303's in various shapes and sizes floating around. These are slowly facing retirement, simply because the rifles are old and because better rifles in more modern calibres are readily available.

The .30's are very popular: 308, 30-06 and the 300's.

7mm's are popular as well and the 6.5's are the latest craze.

The 223 is immensely popular as a plinking rifle, but many farmers use them as a farm rifle too.

As to brands, it is difficult to answer. I once saw a graph of the most popular rifle brands and back then the CZ was the leader by a small margin. Howa has sold many, many rifles during the last years, and some US brands like Remington and Ruger are well known. Mauser, Sauer, Voere and other European brands are known brands.

Thank you for responding. Let’s break my response in two:

First: Available game
    Right here in southeast Arizona, not that much. That’s one of the reasons I’m so jealous of your location. We have Couse deer around here, a sub-species of our whitetail deer. These are small deer, about the size of impala. Being desert, the land doesn’t support a heavy population. Very shy, mostly a spot and stock proposition. Very tasty on the table though. The other “big game” species locally is the javelina or collared peccary, think of a mini warthog looking beast. Not so tasty. Unless handled carefully, not edible at all. North of here, you can get into elk (Wapiti) if you can draw a tag (think Kudu size). Elsewhere, I’ve hunting big whitetail deer, Mule deer, moose, elk and, antelope but nothing compares to all the game variety you have available.

Next: Calibers used
    Now here we are opening a can of worms. Everyone has their favorites but I’ll bet we’re not too different. As I told my son-in-law, the game doesn’t care just use the right bullet and put it in the right place. In the U.S. the 30-06 used to be king. Now, the long range craze has taken hold. I’m seeing wildcats I never ever dreamed of before. People talk about shots of 600 yards like they were proud of it not embarrassed they were too inept to actually stalk closer. There is a time and a place for everything I guess. My age group, around here, as I said, 30-06. Do it all because we don’t have dangerous game. Having said that, I own and love my 375 H&H. Used it extensively in your neck of the woods. Marvelous on everything with a 260 grain partition. My favorite is still the .308, but I’m originally from western Canada, so, go figure. The longer range rifles are mostly 7mm Rem Mag or the thirty calibre Mags. North Americans have “ magnumitis” badly, unless they are old school. The smaller, “varmint” rounds, where the 22-250 used to be king the .223 has taken hold. The 6.5 mm Creedmore is currently trendy but honestly, won’t do anything I didn’t do handloading a 6.5x55 Swiss years ago. We probably have more shotgunning for birds here than you do, but I’m guessing. The waterfowl hunting on the flyways has to be experienced to be understood. Nothing prepares you to laying in blind with 10, 20 or maybe even 30 thousand geese circling overhead. I don’t know, just a whole lot of birds. You really can’t hear yourself think.

Hope you are well and I haven’t taken up too much time. I loved the African experiences I had. Nice to trade thoughts.

Thank you for sharing. I have seen the videos of the flocks of geese & ducks but to experience it in real life must be unique

Banned

Which animals have you hunted in Africa, and where?

User

Hi, I have a non hunting related question, If you are minding your own business in Arizona, carrying your handgun inside the waistband and concealed with a 17 round magazine and one in the chamber, as I am sure Arizona state laws allow you to, and say you just happen to be driving to the town of Parker from Cienega Springs, and you take a right turn at one point instead of a left turn and end up crossing state borders (unknowingly?) into California, California having magazine capacity limits and much stricter laws ect, my question is how much trouble would you get in to?

Same goes for any crossing from a "gun friendly" state with "friendly laws" to another state were those laws are "not so much" legal?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Lost cowboy View Post

In the U.S. the 30-06 used to be king. Now, the long range craze has taken hold. I’m seeing wildcats I never ever dreamed of before. People talk about shots of 600 yards like they were proud of it not embarrassed they were too inept to actually stalk closer. There is a time and a place for everything I guess. My age group, around here, as I said, 30-06.
    For me its not the distance that is a worrying factor, for me it seems people are becoming more distanced from responsibility the further out they shoot. More and more you see people shooting further than they should, and the cherry on top is when they miss a long shot they just try again. People are shooting till they connect, then they all cheer as if they just did something good. I simply don't understand how a person that just missed a long shot cannot make the connection between his actions and irresponsible behavior

I agree wholeheartedly. Actions without responsibility.

I’m not a legal expert but I’d bet a lot on getting into a heap of grief in California. When traveling it is the gun owners responsibility to follow all local laws. It’s like driving. If one state’s speed limit is 70 mph and you cross state lines where their speed limit is 60 mph. You had better drive 60 on their roads.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast