Thread: PH course

Default PH course

Hello Guys,

I have a question relating to becoming a PH.

I guess this will be frowned upon by some, but it seems that I have been bringing quite some international hunter friends to SA for hunting.

I do know that by law one is supposed to have a PH for x amount of foreign hunters, and therefore the question.

how long does it take to do the PH course? is this a quick course? does anyone have experience with some of these courses? where can I find establishments that facilitate these courses?

a lot of questions I know, but some direction and advise will be welcome in this regard.

Default Re: PH course

Sutherland Hunting Academy in Vaalwater, Limpopo does PH courses. 10 days for the course and if you pass everything you may register as PH at nature conservation for limpopo. After attending the course you can only register as outfitter if you have a game farm that is exempted or employed by one. Otherwise you need 3 years experience as PH before you may register as outfitter. This course does not include PH/outfitter for dangerous game.

This is how I understand it. Better to ask the PH academies or PHASA, I'm sure they will be able to answer all your questions.

I'm doing the course later this year.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Have a friend who is a PH. Every 3yrs his license needs to be renewed. Part of this process is to prove you have done something like 30 guided hunts per year. You logbook has to match the outfitters records. If you are not going to do it for a profession I don’t see it as worth the time and money. You might be better server reaching out to one of the PH chaps on the forum

User

You only need to prove 3 clients and 21 days hunting to renew your licence every 3 years.
    The course is relatively quick, being 10 days. If you pass your Legal Exams, but aren't 100% up to scratch, they might require you to do a small apprenticeship under an Outfitter.
    Only go to a School that is in your province, as you will be licences for that Province who:ss legal paper you write. You can write legal papers for other provinces as well, but will need to prove/ renew for each province every 3 years
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post
    You only need to prove 3 clients and 21 days hunting to renew your licence every 3 years.
    The course is relatively quick, being 10 days. If you pass your Legal Exams, but aren't 100% up to scratch, they might require you to do a small apprenticeship under an Outfitter.
    Only go to a School that is in your province, as you will be licences for that Province who:ss legal paper you write. You can write legal papers for other provinces as well, but will need to prove/ renew for each province every 3 years
    What MyLani said. Keep in mind that in the Free State you need to renew your permit on a yearly basis although you still only need to do 3 hunts in a 3 year period.