Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Please Help, I am looking for some good historical reading of Crooks Corner and NE area.

I am learning about the area around and NE of Crooks Corner. I ordered the book 'The Ivory Trail' TV Bulpin.
    It should be good. I will be hunting next year for my first time in Mozambique. NE of Crooks Corner. I like to read the history of an area that I am going into. I welcome your suggestions. I am also interested in learning about the colonial history of Mozambique, as well
    Thanks, Abrum

Also I read a couple of good books this last year.
    1. The Man Eaters of Eden by Robert Frump. ( Informative, if true.)
    2. Pioneers of the Waterburg. A Photographic Journey. Compiled by Elizabeth Hunter.
    (I really enjoyed this one. amazing old photos and great stories,)

Default Re: Please Help, I am looking for some good historical reading of Crooks Corner and NE area.

Abrum, you are right on the money with "The Ivory Trail".
    This Bvekenya Barnard (no relation I hasten to add) was quite a hunter, and I am sure we all would love to experience the unspoilt Africa he hunted.
    I would also recommend the diary of Louis Trichardt, the Voortrekker who trekked through the present Kruger Park in 1836. But then I realized that it is only available in 19th century Dutch, and Afrikaans.

Banned

Default Re: Please Help, I am looking for some good historical reading of Crooks Corner and NE area.

Here is something related to the Lowveld.

https://www.angloboerwar.com/unit-in...naeckers-horse

driepootx, Thanks for the link I will read it and get back to you.

Lekker! Brian

Willie, Thanks for the conformation. I can't read or speak Afrikaans but I will still look for that book. Someone will read it to me I hope. Brian

driepootx, Good reading! I am now sorting out the place names and geography referenced in the reports. I have been to the Crocodile Bridge. near Komatipoort.

I read a lot of anglo/boer war stuff and have visited several battle fields with a guide. So I really appreciate your post. Thanks, Brian

The area of your interest (North-east of Crooks Corner) ties in with the South eastern lowveld of Zimbabwe and of course the Kruger Park. See if you can get hold of this book.

Then there is "Memories of a game ranger" by Harry Wolhuter. (The ranger who killed a lion with a knife.) Whih is apparantly available as a reprint.

This is the diary I was referring to

Willie, Dankie!
    I know the story of Harry Wolhuter. I didn't know about the book. Excellent.
    Isn't that a wonderful picture on the diary/book! I will do a search for that.
    Grey Ghosts of Buffalo Bend is new to me also. I will try and get it! (The sketch on the cover is very good.)

Much appreciated, Brian

May I assume that you have read

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast