Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Please Help, I am looking for some good historical reading of Crooks Corner and NE area.

Default Re: Please Help, I am looking for some good historical reading of Crooks Corner and NE area.

Yes, I sure have! Thanks, Brian

Banned

Does anyone know whether the diary of Paul Kruger is available in English?

Ds J, An english version of PK's diary would be excellent. Brian

Ds J, I just found on the web that "The Memoirs of Paul Kruger" were translated. Brian

Kruger dictated these Memoirs to Mr. H. C. Bredell, his private secretary, and to Mr. Piet Grobler, the former Under Secretary of State of the South African Republic. These gentlemen handed their notes to an editor, the Rev. Dr. A. Schowalter, who spent several weeks at Utrecht in constant colloquy with Mr. Kruger, elucidating various points with the aid of the President's replies to a list of some hundred and fifty to two hundred questions which Dr. Schowalter had drawn up.
    The English and American edition has been translated by Mr. A. Teixeira de Mattos from Dr. Schowalter's revised German text, collated line for line with Mr. Kruger's original Dutch; with this difference that, in this edition, Mr. Kruger speaks in the first person throughout, whereas, in the Continental editions, the narrative is allowed to change into the third person from the point at which he begins to attain a prominent position in the affairs of his country. This latter arrangement, which appeared on reconsideration to be an artificial one, has been altered in this translation, and it has also been decided that, after Mr. Kruger's death, all subsequent Continental editions shall be printed in the first person throughout.
    In the Appendix have been collected several documents in the shape of speeches, proclamations and circular dispatches, including the famous three hours' speech delivered by Mr. Kruger, after his inauguration as President for the fourth time, on the 12th of May 1898.

Banned

Brian, please try to get it as part of your research? My great grandmother had the book and I read it. Though it does not cover your area of interest directly, it still gives insight into the minds of yesteryear. It also brings to light some of the influences of the time, and inbetween there are interesting little tales, such as his encounters with rhino's etc.

Ds J, I will, Thanks. I have read a lot on the colonial history and will enjoy his diary. brian

Hello and thanks to all! I ordered the following books from as far way as Australia and England.
    - Memoirs fo a Game Ranger and Valley of the Ironwoods both by Harry Wolhuter.
    - Grey Ghosts of Buffalo Bend by Allen Wright.
    - Memoirs of Paul Kruger.

I'm broke now but happy. Thanks, again, Brian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2