Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Please help! Holster leaving strange markings on slide finish (Not usual wear)

Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me :)

I've recently bought a new Kydex holster for my firearm and at one of the contact points I noticed the slide wearing down the Kydex pretty hard. Up until now it's always left an oily looking mark which has rubbed off, but now it is starting to leave little dotted marks? :/ Which is pretty strange because it's not the usual holster wear I'm familiar with and it's happening far sooner than expected. Does anyone know what this is and if it can be polished out. The holster I was using previously left absolutely no marks and was also Kydex.

It almost looks like the Kydex has been impregnated onto the slide? I've tried rubbing it off with gun oil and CLP but doesn't seem to work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Please help! Holster leaving strange markings on slide finish (Not usual wear)

Doesn’t look like streak/sliding marks from drawing/holstering.

Is there a build-up of sweat in that area?

Banned

Default Re: Please help! Holster leaving strange markings on slide finish (Not usual wear)

Scratch over the marks with your nail. If it is corrosion you should be able to feel the little pits. Oil and a copper brush are your friends if it is indeed rust.

User

Heat the kydex and relax the material in that area.
    It does look like that's the side in contact with your skin, so it's likely drawing sweat to that area.
    I would also try a different oil and then wipe it down every few days.

User

You know the heat is bad when your pistol starts sweating in the holster.

User

Looks like the start of pitting maybe, due to sweat, I had the same with one of my Glocks and it got a bit worse, but remember its a tool, and looks dont matter as much as functionality, but if the look bothers you too much then keep it oiled regularly, and be prepared to maybe cerakote it after a few years...

I guess sweat could be getting in there, it never happened with my previous holster but the Kydex was never flush against the slide. I'll try some WD40 and see if i can rub it off. It doesn't feel like bumps or small pits though, but lets see. I've heated the kydex and moved it off the slide so hopefully it doesn't continue. Thanks for all the help guys!

User

One of the wax-based gun treatments would give you better protection than oil.

Summer is here, we had 41 deg C yesterday. This means that I will get perspiration on my EDC. Regular cleaning helps, but if the holster traps the perspiration there, it will cause damage eventually.

This is one of the reasons I don't mind EDCing an ugly gun. It's a tool, not jewlery.

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    One of the wax-based gun treatments would give you better protection than oil.

Summer is here, we had 41 deg C yesterday. This means that I will get perspiration on my EDC. Regular cleaning helps, but if the holster traps the perspiration there, it will cause damage eventually.

This is one of the reasons I don't mind EDCing an ugly gun. It's a tool, not jewlery.
    If i may hijack a bit.
    Which products do you guys recommend for the extra sweat that happens on hotter days? Currently im just using ram trisol.

Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast