Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Firearm amnesty in December

Saw now on SABC 2 18.30 news in the teletext bar the following info

"Minister van Polisie gee van Desember af 6 maande amnestie vir onwettige vuurwapens. Amnestie gee eienaars wie se vuurwapennlisensies verval het geleentheid om dit by die Polisie in te handig."

Dont know if this is a typo or silent way of getting all those FA who's licenses has expired.

User

Default Re: Firearm amnesty in December

Expired licenses do not make the firearm illegal.

Wait for the court case outcome!

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

User

https://www.parliament.gov.za/press-...jtKuldSfN2Xo7I

"Parliament, Wednesday, 23 October 2019 – The Portfolio Committee on Police today unanimously approved an application from the Ministry of Police for a firearms amnesty as per section 139 of the Firearms Control Act, 2000 (Act No 60 of 200). In approving this amnesty, the committee’s main consideration was reducing proliferation of firearms from South Africa’s streets as a pillar of fighting crime.
    The committee has proposed that the commencement date be moved to 1 December 2019 up to May 2020. This is to allow all the administrative processes still left in Parliament to be concluded.

Furthermore, the committee has urged the ministry and the South African Police Service (SAPS) to consider a concession for people who were not able to renew their firearms licences and allow them to utilise this period of amnesty to apply for the requisite licence.

Despite the approval, the committee has requested a detailed report of the 2005 and 2010 Firearms Amnesty that outlines a breakdown of the firearms received, either legal or illegal. Furthermore, the committee has requested a provisional report on the implementation of the amnesty at the beginning of February and every second month thereafter.

The committee urges all South Africans to take advantage of the amnesty and to surrender their firearms to the SAPS and actively to participate in efforts to remove firearms from our streets as a means to aid the fight against crime."

Let's see if they 'consider' it

Same was posted on our club group this morning. Looks to me more like they just trying to get people to hand in their expired license firearms.

User

As far as I have it, last I saw was that they're not allowed to take in those guns, as per a court order. @paul?

EDIT: Oh I must refresh before I post.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Zuku View Post
    Dont know if this is a typo or silent way of getting all those FA who's licenses has expired.
    This is EXCATLY what is being attempted.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Quote Originally Posted by JhbBoy View Post
    Let's see if they 'consider' it
    Tina actually said "... we must ask the Minister to do us a favour..."

It was cringeworthy.
    Unknown Barbarian

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    As far as I have it, last I saw was that they're not allowed to take in those guns, as per a court order. @paul?

EDIT: Oh I must refresh before I post.
    Yep!

And Tuesday night we received the States Affidavit in the condonation case for the appeal to the SCA where the State claims that our interdict is preventing SAPS from holding an amnesty.

The left hand is pretending that the right hand doesn't exist.
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Yaaay!! Finally all the dirty criminals will hand in their illegal firearms so that our streets will be safe again!!!

Paul. Please excuse me for asking this when everyone knows about your interdict. But can you please share again something that i can post to our club with regards to the details of saps not being able to force the guys with expired licenses to hand them in.
    I just want to remind our guys again that they dont have to hand in their firearms.
    Please excuse me if this is a stupid request

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast