User

Default Monos for a 30-06

A friend of mine is looking at getting a 30-06 (Howa) as his first rifle for general hunting. I imagine he will probably be doing a mix of hunting in the bushveld and open areas of the karoo. For the karoo hunts, I am thinking of a flat shooting load that he can use for sprinkbok, and the odd kudu. I was looking at the 130g Barnes TTSX and the Peregrine VLR4 in 136g bullets that should give him close to 3000ft/sec. What bullet do you guys suggest?

Banned

Default Re: Monos for a 30-06

Ask DsJ to send you the photo's and info they got with the ballistics mono bullets, rather new on the market, I posted this but got very little response -- http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...new-on-shelves

I will be buying soon and trying, perhaps

User

I’m shooting 150gr GS Customs (very low stock) out of my Howa 30-06 at around 2900 FPS, getting sub-MOA accuracy out of it out to 300m. Going to try Perigrine soon.

User

My 30.06 load
    Perigrine VRG4/5 168gn

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Ask DsJ to send you the photo's and info they got with the ballistics mono bullets, rather new on the market, I posted this but got very little response -- http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...new-on-shelvesI will be buying soon and trying, perhaps
    Will gladly assist. We got roughly 2" groupings on a very windy (30km/h+) day from a 4x telescope and an out-of-practice shooter.

I've had good results on game with the Barnes TSX/TTSX, Hornady GMX, Peregrine VLR-4 and the Balistix hunt/tac bullets. If I had a .30-'06 I would load a monolithic in the 150gr range and use that for both bushveld and Karoo hunting.

User

Don't forget the Kriek monolithics.
    They were very well priced last time I ordered.
    Similar to the Frontier Spartan, but cheaper
    A roaring Lion kills no game

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post
    Don't forget the Kriek monolithics.
    They were very well priced last time I ordered.
    Similar to the Frontier Spartan, but cheaper
    Yea you been using the Kriek bullets for years now, and on a professional level as well, they must be satisfying you !.
    I had actually forgotten them, very nice guy and very willing to help.

User

We have quite a lot of local competition for the Barnes, in the form of Kriek, Frontier Spartan, Peregrine, GS custom and Ballistix. Competition is good for the consumer!

I guess what is missing in the mix, is any extensive comparison/ feedback of these with respect to terminal performance. Although the forum database is building up nicely.

We know that for example that an Impala mono is a failure with respect to terminal performance, and I personally have had great accuracy, but often poor results with the terminal performance of the GS customs which don't expand like the Barnes.

When I see images of the expanded bullets from the above, none of them have the nice symmetrical petals that the Barnes have, and they don't seem to expand to the same extent. My experience with recovered Barnes are that they go from 7mm to 15mm, which is more than double the diameter. Has anyone found a local mono that is able to equal this?