Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cape Cobra.

User

Default Cape Cobra.

Came home from a trip to Bloemfontein this afternoon to find that my dogs had killed this cape cobra in the yard. It could easily have been the other way round. I am not a member of the "slay all serpents" club and generally remove these snakes if possible but to be honest I am relieved that the dogs won. The wire haired terrier's mom got killed by a cape cobra a few years ago.

User

Default Re: Cape Cobra.

Lucky dogs. Looks like you can also do with some rain there.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

User

Very lucky dogs indeed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User

Very lucky. We are an hours drive from the closest vet, if they are available, so even if we are at home and can react immediately, a dog (especially a small dog) is not going to make it if it is bitten.

User

Lucky is a human word with a human meaning.
    A hunting dog is more like Yoda, do or do not.

This is what they live for, and often what they live for they die for, but it is what it is.

People that work with hunting dogs understand the fact that they are most alive on the hunt, and they dont live at all if deprived of it.

Snakes are always my greatest fear when hunting with my dogs. Especially the Puff Adder.

User

The wire hair, who probably killed the snake, is indeed a hunting dog and have tackled warthog and wildebeest seemingly unaware of the difference in size between her and her quarry. The fact that she is blind in one eye does put her at a bit of a disadvantage but she seem to cope.

The miniature schnauzer on the other hand is scared of its own shadow and lives in a state of constant paranoia, this combined with his amazing and often disturbing vocal range, makes him an excellent watch dog/early warning system though.

What you say is true, we tend to think of dogs in human terms and that is probably wrong. Still, it is sad to lose a companion even if it is a natural occurrence.

User

Growing up in Pongola as a boy our dogs had an encounter with a Mozambican Spitting Cobra in our garden, and had to rush one of them to the Vet to wash out his eyes after he got spat (a Staffi, the other one, an Alsatian, was a bit more restrained and didn't get any venom in the eyes). Happily my dad finished off the Cobra with his Aya shotgun before any of us got hurt (or the cats, who for some reason wanted a go at the snake).

Tstone, you are lucky your dogs got the better of the Cobra, and I'm sorry about the one you lost.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Johann du Toit View Post
    Happily my dad finished off the Cobra with his Aya shotgun before any of us got hurt (or the cats, who for some reason wanted a go at the one.
    Regarding cats and snakes: I have heard quite a few times that cats go after snakes. In one case, a lodge owner nearby had a mamba on his farm who lived in a tree near the farm house back door. The snake sometimes slept on the ceiling in the house. He kept the snake alive because they never had break-ins with the snake nearby. The snake also kept a distance from humans. Once, while they were on holiday, their cats got into the tree and killed the snake. The farm attendant said that the cats ate on it for four or five days.

User

Also regarding cats... We had a resident boomslang in one of our wild olive trees. It didn't bug us so we left it alone. We found it in our garden one day, dead and mangled... The caretaker said he watched our one cat tear it to pieces.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast