Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Cape Cobra.

User

Default Re: Cape Cobra.

Quote Originally Posted by Luker View Post
    Snakes are always my greatest fear when hunting with my dogs. Especially the Puff Adder.
    Puff adders you have several hours to get to the vet for anti venom.
    Have dealt with at least 4 or 5 no issues with my dogs ( apart from cost! ).
    Cobra on the other hand you probably going to have a sad day on your hands

User

We had a cat tackle a rinkhals in Midrand at my aunts place last year. Snake didn’t make it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by McD2304 View Post
    Puff adders you have several hours to get to the vet for anti venom.
    Have dealt with at least 4 or 5 no issues with my dogs ( apart from cost! ).
    Cobra on the other hand you probably going to have a sad day on your hands
    Wait, is a Cobra more venomous than a Puff Adder?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    Cobra's venom attacks the nervous system. The dog does not survive that, at least in most cases.

A puff adder's venom attacks the tissue. It rots but does not act that fast.

The folks who know more will explain the rest as soon as they see I have answered.

User

Dogs just handle the cytotoxin better than the neurotoxin, seen a lot off puffadder bites on small dogs.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    The cobra shuts breathing down, quite quickly too.
    Unless you got a respirator on hand, you got a problem.

User

In any case you get 3 kinds of dogs.

First you get the type that bites and hold on, to anything, you often see multiple bites on these types of dogs.
    Secondly you get dogs that attack with a series of bites, they are second most at risk.
    Thirdly you get dogs that attack snakes with a quick bite coupled with a whiplash, they are the best snake hunters and snakes struggle to defend themselves against this.

Yellow’s are too slow to properly defend themselves against any good dog, but in my opinion strike speed makes little difference anyways because snakes mostly try and get to cover, and as soon as they are horizontal(not coiled or raised) they are defenceless.

The bites on small hunting dogs from puffies are mostly in the face or neck, the reason is the dog smells the snake in hiding, and they are mostly already coiled in this position, but when the snake is on the move dogs don’t make this mistake. The debate is then what to do when you are at home and the dogs detect a snake, the owners will most likely intervene and kill the snake to prevent injury to their animals. I personally don’t think this is a good idea because humans will inevitably be away at one stage or another, like in this scenario, and the dogs will need to handle the situation, so letting them get the experience is perhaps better. I just think that will be too hard for most owners to do, standing by doing nothing.

Well that also depends on what type of dogs you have, border collies for example seem to make poor snake dogs, I have seen a lot of bites on them, even though they are one of the most intelligent breeds, I would not leave them alone with a snake. Or perhaps that is the thing, in this scenario instinct is better than relying on intelligence, some dogs are just born snake hunters, other are born working dogs, others are just plain pets.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Cobra's venom attacks the nervous system. The dog does not survive that, at least in most cases.

A puff adder's venom attacks the tissue. It rots but does not act that fast.

The folks who know more will explain the rest as soon as they see I have answered.
    I know of one case where a snake handler at PE snake park (IIRC) died within minutes of being bitten by a Puff-adder whilst doing a demonstration. Apparently the bite on the wrist allowed one of the fangs to penetrate a vein and the venom was directly injected into the bloodstream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most puffy bites on dogs are treated with anti-inflams, and pain meds....I have also seen a drain, but so little fluid drained out of the hematoma that I doubt that this is a common treatment for cytotoxic envenomations.

User

So Cytotoxic makes your flesh rot, Neurotoxic makes your heart and lungs stop? I think we can all agree that if forced to take one then Cytotoxic would be the one to go for?

I have seen a Puff Adder in a snake park and it was k@k scary to imagine it in the wild, buy I guess a Cobra is more of a threat, though it looks less pissed off....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast