Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Cape Cobra.

User

Default Re: Cape Cobra.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    So Cytotoxic makes your flesh rot, Neurotoxic makes your heart and lungs stop? I think we can all agree that if forced to take one then Cytotoxic would be the one to go for?
    If forced to take one I would take the cobra every day of the week.

User

So Cytotoxic makes your flesh rot, Neurotoxic makes your heart and lungs stop? I think we can all agree that if forced to take one then Cytotoxic would be the one to go for?

I have seen a Puff Adder in a snake park and it was k@k scary to imagine it in the wild, buy I guess a Cobra is more of a threat, though it looks less pissed off....
    And then you get some snakes like the Rinkhals that has a combination of both cytotoxic and neurotoxic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Option 3 is haemotoxic venom that the boomslang has. This attacks the red blood cells. Slow working, but incredibly painful, and without treatment you end up with internal bleeding, and bleeding from nose, eyes etc.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Gunman View Post
    Option 3 is haemotoxic venom that the boomslang has. This attacks the red blood cells. Slow working, but incredibly painful, and without treatment you end up with internal bleeding, and bleeding from nose, eyes etc.
    Boomslang, Vine and Twig snakes though bites are extremely rare thank goodness.

User

I have seen a Puff Adder in a snake park and it was k@k scary to imagine it in the wild, buy I guess a Cobra is more of a threat, though it looks less pissed off....
    IIRC, there was a movement away from Anti-venom in favour of treating the symptoms. If you can get to a decent medical facility in time, your chance if making it with neurotoxic venom in your body is pretty good.

Cytotoxic venom buys you time to get to a medical facility (if the venom did not get into the circulatory system i.e. found it's way to your heart).

What you get instead is weeks, if not months in hospital.

If the gangrene doesn't get you, and if you keep the affected limb, you are in for months of rehabilitation. You will probably never regain full use of the affected limb.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    IIRC, there was a movement away from Anti-venom in favour of treating the symptoms. If you can get to a decent medical facility in time, your chance if making it with neurotoxic venom in your body is pretty good.

Cytotoxic venom buys you time to get to a medical facility (if the venom did not get into the circulatory system i.e. found it's way to your heart).

What you get instead is weeks, if not months in hospital.

If the gangrene doesn't get you, and if you keep the affected limb, you are in for months of rehabilitation. You will probably never regain full use of the affected limb.
    The competent doctors who deal with snakebite generally treat according to symptoms displayed. Many bites have turned out to be dry bites and anti venom is not required. Biggest issue is getting bitten far from medical facilities and rural areas .

Quote Originally Posted by McD2304 View Post
    Puff adders you have several hours to get to the vet for anti venom.
    Have dealt with at least 4 or 5 no issues with my dogs ( apart from cost! ).
    Cobra on the other hand you probably going to have a sad day on your hands
    So the dogs had a full recovery from being bitten by a Puff Adder ?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Luker View Post
    So the dogs had a full recovery from being bitten by a Puff Adder ?
    I have heard of many dogs surviving a puff adder bites.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
    I have heard of many dogs surviving a puff adder bites.

But they die when eating chocolate :)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    But they die when eating chocolate :)
    Try telling that to my Africanis that ate an entire PnP bag full of Easter eggs, foil and all.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast