Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Cape Cobra.

User

Default Re: Cape Cobra.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockroach View Post
    Try telling that to my Africanis that ate an entire PnP bag full of Easter eggs, foil and all.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    That probably says more about what PnP wants to pass off as chocolate, than it does of your dog 😜

Quote Originally Posted by Cockroach View Post
    Try telling that to my Africanis that ate an entire PnP bag full of Easter eggs, foil and all.

I didn’t know you had a similar voël to Jewbear. What is it with you capies?
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    I didn’t know you had a similar voël to Jewbear. What is it with you capies?
    I am fairly sure my voël was bigger, but we are odd down here

User

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    But they die when eating chocolate :)
    Tell that to my Border Collie that chowed an entire Lindt 80% slab. Mommy was very unimpressed with him!

User

We use to stay in Tshikondeni, a small mining village close to the Kruger's Pafuri gate, where
    Mozambique Spitting Cobras was a fairly common sight.

My dog, a Staffy/fox terrier mix, was an avid snake hunter. Although we would try and avoid killing the snake, we would not intervene if the dog and snake already started

their encounter.
    His technique would involve getting a hold of the snake at mid body, maybe slightly closer to the head, and giving it a quick and very aggressive shake once or twice and let go.
    The shake was violent,hitting the snake against the ground. This would be repeated until the snake was obviously dead.

He would get spit in the eyes on occasion then we would rinse it out and apply an ointment.
    Seeing that dog take on a spitting cobra was pretty impressive.

You can speak to your local Vet about alternative snake bite treatment but I could recommend you keep a few vials of Solu Cortef at hand. These vials have 2 compartments. One with sterilized water and one with the white cortizone powder. Cortizone breaks down the proteine base of the poison. When you want to use the Solu Cortef break the seal between the compartments an shake well. Inject the solution around the bite and at least one in the shoulder or buttock. This will also to some extend counter the allergic reaction to the poison. If you are "trained" to administer the meds intravenously so much the better. You will then have some time time to get to a doctor or a Vet for more treatment.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    But they die when eating chocolate :)
    Little do people know that xylitol and hops are both also pretty toxic to dogs.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Little do people know that xylitol and hops are both also pretty toxic to dogs.
    I knew about xylitol, but hops is a new one! Interesting!

User

Messor is right, dogs need to gain experience with snakes. Besides puff adders, every dog I have seen bitten or spat in the eyes, has been when their owners tried to intervene.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    In any case you get 3 kinds of dogs.

First you get the type that bites and hold on, to anything, you often see multiple bites on these types of dogs.
    Secondly you get dogs that attack with a series of bites, they are second most at risk.
    Thirdly you get dogs that attack snakes with a quick bite coupled with a whiplash, they are the best snake hunters and snakes struggle to defend themselves against this.

Yellow’s are too slow to properly defend themselves against any good dog, but in my opinion strike speed makes little difference anyways because snakes mostly try and get to cover, and as soon as they are horizontal(not coiled or raised) they are defenceless.

The bites on small hunting dogs from puffies are mostly in the face or neck, the reason is the dog smells the snake in hiding, and they are mostly already coiled in this position, but when the snake is on the move dogs don’t make this mistake. The debate is then what to do when you are at home and the dogs detect a snake, the owners will most likely intervene and kill the snake to prevent injury to their animals. I personally don’t think this is a good idea because humans will inevitably be away at one stage or another, like in this scenario, and the dogs will need to handle the situation, so letting them get the experience is perhaps better. I just think that will be too hard for most owners to do, standing by doing nothing.

Well that also depends on what type of dogs you have, border collies for example seem to make poor snake dogs, I have seen a lot of bites on them, even though they are one of the most intelligent breeds, I would not leave them alone with a snake. Or perhaps that is the thing, in this scenario instinct is better than relying on intelligence, some dogs are just born snake hunters, other are born working dogs, others are just plain pets.
    My dogs took about 3 tries to learn how a porcupine moves. Then they moved to the city for about a year. I took them out again a few nights ago and it seems their memory failed them or enthusiasm got the best of them.
    When I arrived I saw the dog going in from the sides and also biting clusters of quills out. He obviously wasn't very clever anymore. I decided to not take them out again. The juice is not worth the squeeze for me myself.

Dogs get old and slow too. Hopefully they will have learned a snake's speed, strike distance and gotten over them before then. If not then the owner will probably ask himself why he thought the dog is a red wine.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast