Banned

Default Setting a scope that does not have clicks - MOA - continuous motion adjustment.

As per usual I will also read up on this, but for now I would like some general advice and feed back on how to - pro's and cons etc on a scope that does not have "click" type setting.
    I was given a Leopold 3 - 9 scope with plain thin cross hairs, when I was setting it in I notice it had the normal markings, but there was no click - click type feeling to it, just a continuous more or right left motion.
    I also did not notice any fine line markings to reference against - just numbers and the slot in adjuster keyway.
    Now I could imagine this being better way of doing things if you needed finer than 1 click = .25 of a inch adjustments, but I really at this stage of my life in shooting enjoy it one bit. I am so used to 3 inch R = 12 clicks, that this vague reference to numbers on side was not working for me.
    I have never seen, nor knew of such adjustment types of scopes, marked MOA on dial.
    Who of ya all have used this system - how do you use it and how do you find it.
    I think it are not nice ().
    Last thing does this system have a name or reference, would help when google time comes to know how to search subject.

Banned

Default Re: Setting a scope that does not have clicks - MOA - continuous motion adjustment.

Dave, it should be 4 markings per MOA. Have a good look at the numbers and that should be as I have mentioned. You have an old scope there.

User

Default Re: Setting a scope that does not have clicks - MOA - continuous motion adjustment.

A lot of the older Leupold scopes have adjustment turrets like this. I have used several and still own and use one. There should be a thin indexing line running at a 90° angle with the coin/screwdriver slot. Most of the ones I have used have ˝ moa per line adjustment. They are more difficult to sight in until you get used to them but once sighted in they keep zero reliably in my experience.

Banned

Tstone, I think you are correct with the 1/2 MOA. I can remember battling to get the 4-12 on my air rifle to sight in.

Banned

If each marking is half moa, but the adjuster is with out restrictions of per click, you could just turn it less???
    I got mine spot on now, and do not want to learn on it by adjusting - but woulds still like to know.
    Thanks for replies guys, any idea what this kind of turret setting is called ??

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    If each marking is half moa, but the adjuster is with out restrictions of per click, you could just turn it less???
    In theory, yes.

Banned

I have not been able to get back to this rifle since we spoke, thank you for answers, I will report back after week end when I have had weapon in hands again.