Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Mixed Origins Medium Bore.

During the past year my 6.5x55 Howa morphed into a 9.3x62. With a Howa action (Japanese), Truvelo barrel (proudly South African) chambered in 9.3x62 (German), Hogue stock (American) and a Leupold Vari-XIII 1.75-6x32 scope in Warne Mounts it is hardly a classic rifle. What it is, is a light, compact, no nonsense rifle that can stand up to the daily use and abuse a working rifle is subjected to.

I worked up loads with four different bullets. Knipmes generously donated a supply of CS Game Rangers in 296gr weight. Basically a cmj bullet it is a good practice/plinking bullet and, loaded to a very modest 1800fps, I used it for barrel break in and initial sighting of the scope. I also worked up loads with the 230gr Peregrine VLR-4 (±2500fps), 272gr PMP brass solid (±2250fps) and the 286gr Hornady Interlock (±2250 fps).

The Hornady's did not fare very well, giving 1.5 - 1.75 moa groups. Realistically, this is still good enough for hunting out to 200m. I had no problem hitting 4" targets at 200m from shooting sticks with the Hornady's.

All three the other bullets, including the Frontier CS Game rangers, gave sub moa groups. I have ordered a supply of 250gr Hornady GMX bullets for general hunting.

The open sights, from my old Musgrave 98 Light in 7x57 is zeroed at 50m with 286gr bullets. At that range all the bullets, except the under loaded CS Game Rangers, shoots into the same sub 2" group anyway.

From left: .308 win, 9.3x62's loaded with 230gr Peregrine, 272gr PMP, 286gr Hornady IL and 296gr CS Game Ranger.

I took the rifle hunting this morning and shot a springbok ram at ±130m using the 230gr Peregrine, hardly a test for either the cartridge or the rifle. Still it was nice hunting with an old friend, now with a somewhat different character.

User

Default Re: Mixed Origins Medium Bore.

Very very nice!

Does it have comparable accuracy to the original factory rifle?

User

A true United Nations gun.

User

Congrats on the "new" rifle! Im sure it will serve you well. Who did the work for you?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

User

Lovely, but having once shot Koebelwagen's 9.3, all I can say is 'Eina shoulder!'

User

Nice, Keen to see the field reports .For bigger game are you going to stick to the Peregrines/GMXs or try some of the heavier bonded bullets available?

Banned

To me thats a almost perfect rifle,other than a suppressor I do not really know where it could be improved. If the laws were to change and I could only have one or two rifles this would be one of them, or the one.

Very nice no-nonsense rifle! 20" barrel?

Nice to see you finalized your "project" rifle. Dont forget I still have the few Norma cases I promised. If you know of some one going your way, we can then arrange the delivery of the cases.
    Please let us know how the PMP solids performed if you get the chance to shoot a large animal .

User

Don't discount the PMP Pro-Am 286gr softs if you're looking for a low cost, general purpose bullet. I have found them to group at sub-MOA and they work well at the low 9.3 velocities (for non-DG). They're cheap and widely available.It'll be interesting to see how the GMX and Peregrine perform - not sure the 9.3 velocities will get them to expand (much).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast