Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Banned

Default Re: Mixed Origins Medium Bore.

Quote Originally Posted by Desperatezulu View Post
    Don't discount the PMP Pro-Am 286gr softs if you're looking for a low cost, general purpose bullet. I have found them to group at sub-MOA and they work well at the low 9.3 velocities (for non-DG). They're cheap and widely available.It'll be interesting to see how the GMX and Peregrine perform - not sure the 9.3 velocities will get them to expand (much).
    They would be made with larger cavities deeper, and thinner start to cavity. The lower user velocity range -speeds are a known when bullet is designed, they not just made to a nice shape.

@ Bonedoc. Gerrie Coetzee in Bloemfontein.

@ Antlion. I think a 250gr mono will work for most of what I will be doing with it but I will am always interested in trying different bullets.

@ Treeman. Once you put a supressor on a light compact rifle it is neither compact nor light :)

@ kayacker. 22".

@ Knipmes. I will keep you updated. They are very accurate, way below moa at 100m.

@ Desperate. The Peregrine I used on the springbok expanded very well, judging by the wound channel. It was a fairly close shot though.

User

Well it’s a nice hunting rifle, that is for sure, but perhaps not really the best suited cartridge for Mr Stone’s environment. Or let me rephrase, nothing wrong with the cartridge just few bullet choices for plains game hunting .

We all buy a million different bullets when starting with a new rifle, same as in this scenario, but for a man of Mr Stone’s experience that is nothing more than play time, he knows what works.

If it was me, while the prices are good I would definitely buy a couple of packets 285gr Norma Oryx, for that price and being a bonded bullet that is a good hunting combo if I ever saw one.
    Regarding monolithics, the more known brands makes them too heavy for the 9.3 to be a proper plains game cartridge, we all know penetration is not an issue, for general hunting I would go with something like the 200gr kriek.

For normal hunting up to 200m with 250gr-ish that is no issue at all, but often shots must be taken further than that, and in that velocity spectrum and with those BC’s heavier bullets won’t have adequate velocity to open up reliably.

Now if I had to shoot one hunting bullet only in the 9.3, and dangerous game aside, now that is an interesting question. If dangerous game were on the cards the bullet would be a 250gr TTSX or the 286gr A-frame. But for normal hunting, I would probably have chosen something like the 250gr Accubond, if they weren’t so bloody expensive.

PS: Mr stone congrats, I approve of the rainbow rifle :)

Banned

The caliber change. Your choice and for your pocket?

I wanted something shooting a fatter heavier bullet than my .300 win mag. I had a 6.5x55 with a worn barrel. I wanted to use that action and stock with as little work to the action as possible. I looked at three calibers, the .375 H&H, the .375 Ruger and the 9.3x62. Both the .375's are more versatile. Conversion to either .375 would have necessitated opening the bolt face and work to the feed rails.

As I have a .300 win mag and a 6.5 Creedmoor for longer range hunting I was not too worried about longer range performance. I did want it to be light and fairly compact. At close range the 9.3 can handle any job that the .375's can. It is probably the most economical medium bore to feed if you hand load and it is well suited to lighter rifles. The conversion was affordable and the difference in price between converting to 9.3 or either of the magnums was sufficient to pay for fitting open sights and buying dies etc.

If it was my only rifle I would have opted for the .375 H&H but in that case I would probably have sold the 6.5x55 and bought a rifle.

Banned

I should maybe have asked if you get a firearm provided by the farm. Thanks for the explanation. The 9,3x62 has built up such a reputation over its lifetime, that I don't think you will be disappointed.

I do, but not this one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2