Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Re: Tactical carry and the GO Bag - By abhm

Believe it or not...I have only been able to get to this article today. Since its publication on GUNSITE.CO.ZA, I have placed it on the back burner.....

I would say that this is some very good guidelines and each person should look at his/her own circumstances and adapt to their needs. Crossing borders brings its own set of problems about as what is legal on this side of the border does not necessarily indicate being legal on the other side. Should you plan a cross border travel or multiple crossings, do some research on what is legal in each country. The modular approach could also proof good when traveling by plane as to quickly take out from GO Bag and transfer to normal luggage and back again.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    Ammo
    The type of ammo you carry is not a major factor, but there are two rules to this. Firstly, make sure it is generally a good brand and secondly, make sure you have enough! To those who endlessly debate the merits of the Gold Dot over the Black Talon or Federal Hydra-Shok: you are focusing too much on the niche aspects and losing sight of the big picture. Rather leave the science to the scientists; the cardinal rule of the fight is if the target does not go down on the first shot, shoot it again or run! Also don’t boutique your lead; don’t think about the first shot being snakeshot, the second FMJ or whatever. It’s not cocktail mixing; it’s a fight, so keep it all the same, because when the two way range is opened you are not going to be round counting!
    By abhm
    I agree and disagree.

I disagree to the point that this issue is important in that we want to know what is the best and have a good knowledge about the subject. It helps us in determining what is good and what is less good (note my choice of words...'less good' and not 'bad') and thus what is the better choices. No this will not help you win the fight but it might give you a slight edge and forms a part of a big picture.

I agree to this point in that when confronted with a different situation and out of your comfort zone, it becomes a different situation. Then you take what is best available. Should I be confronted with a situation of a firearm with which I am not familiar, I would rather choose normal ball ammo. The reason being that I might not have the opportunity to test the firearm at hand with the hollow points and as we have said on so many occasions....test your particular firearm with your particular ammo.... Normal ball have the highest reliability of giving reliable firearm functioning.

On the issue regarding belts: I agree with a good quality belt. I have seen this many times on the range where people still go for the 'el cheapo leatherete' belt. Leather also has its drawbacks even if it is double stitched and double layered....it does loose its rigidness and at the end of the day become 'unstable'. There are other synthetic options available that is excellent and eliminates the problems associated with leather. The down side to this is that it could make you look like a 'operator' when you are trying to blend in. I did get such a belt from SWATTIE which i now use and a daily basis and it is excellent but my clothing is normally as such that the belt is also concealed.

??? Day-Glo Cloth ??? Is this the type of material that these reflective vests are made from? Is this to be used for easy identification for evacuation purposes? Please elaborate.....

Air Identification Panel... ??? Please elaborate.....

Some other things that I thought about is rather drop the KY grn1 and replace that with some Vaseline... On a serious note, Vaseline has more application value.

Another item which I find extremely handy is cable ties. They work for a multiple range of uses and has saved the day on quite a few occasions for me.

A roll of toilet paper can also keep you out of the shit..... confused0068 + some Wet Wipes....

A item or two to consider adding to your medical supplies is Imodium and if you use chronic medication, to have some of that packed in also (over and above your normal supply that would be in your normal luggage).

Another item is if you are dependant on spectacles, to have a spare pair available or all your goodies that you require for your contacts.

As I said in the beginning, it will depend on your situation and in what environments and under what conditions you are going to be...

Quote Originally Posted by Corné

Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    Ammo
    The type of ammo you carry is not a major factor, but there are two rules to this. Firstly, make sure it is generally a good brand and secondly, make sure you have enough! To those who endlessly debate the merits of the Gold Dot over the Black Talon or Federal Hydra-Shok: you are focusing too much on the niche aspects and losing sight of the big picture. Rather leave the science to the scientists; the cardinal rule of the fight is if the target does not go down on the first shot, shoot it again or run! Also don’t boutique your lead; don’t think about the first shot being snakeshot, the second FMJ or whatever. It’s not cocktail mixing; it’s a fight, so keep it all the same, because when the two way range is opened you are not going to be round counting!
    By abhm
    Very important thing with SD ammo, first test those fancy brand names or HollowPoint 4.56 coated 8.3285.1. I've seen that many people buy these fancy ammunitions but never fired more than two or three round through their weapons. Their explanation: It's to expensive to waste money and good ammo on the range...bla bla bla!...the price is much higher when you firearm fails to feed that fancy stuff. I've seen failure to feed on a few occasions....luckily all on the range.

Tommie,

Very true and I think the majority on this site will agree to this. This has been echoed in other discussions also.

hpy180

let the echo goes on!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommie
    let the echo goes on!
    hpy180

Another item that I find extremely handy and that has assisted me or others around me is Cable Ties.....Keep a few close by as the are very handy.

Just a example... I once found a lady driver next to the road. She was involved in a slight accident earlier but the vehicle was still in a driveable condition. The damage was limited to the bonnet and the latch securing the bonnet was not functioning anymore. Two cable ties did the job and she could continue on her way at a advised slow speed just in case the cable ties could not keep the bonnet in place.

User

What about these light sticks the divers use

In the case that the flashlight doesnt or the lens and globe broke?

Corne
    have a deadline or two so will answer some of your question will revert later

OK Air Identification - day glo panels I use the VS 17 panels but a strip of day glo will work, I also have two of the reflector jackets as well as they are usefull

Belts - I like leather but you are right SWATTIES belts are the bee's knee's and are definetly worth the buy, I dont find the "operator profile" you too much the point is a belt needs to be stuirdy as you said

I get nervous about saying a brand name of meds but yeah you need good shit stoppers! Cable ties are needed 100% forgot about those usefull little inventions alongside duct tape they are probably the most effective quick fixers out

great to have this feedback we need to consolidate this all into a good checklist there is a project for you!

Christo - you mean cyalume sticks? my son keeps nicking my cyalumes to play with!
    I am studying an awesome brand of leg fighting which was inspired by dung beetles and I think my brand of Kraft Manure is superior to all other styles ever invented. Furthermore I challenge all other manurists to a rolling contest where we shall establish whose manure ball is the biggest! I shall call it Honest Kraft Manure and declare it superior to all other brands of manure and will tell you that I have claimed the lineage directly to Imshi the great Dragon Kru Master Beetler who invented manuring, by gathering all manure from different animals together and making it work as the worlds most effective fertilizer. I proved myself by being members of not one but three super elite special gardening departments who were responsible for spreading manure to combat weed infestations!

User

Thanx abhm that was a great read. A quick question on Geoff Carter, is he in south africa & if he is, what are his contact details. Thanx again

Quote Originally Posted by Killabeez
    Thanx abhm that was a great read. A quick question on Geoff Carter, is he in south africa & if he is, what are his contact details. Thanx again
    Geoff is indeed in SA. Find his name somewhere on a post here and click on it. That will give you his contact details and you can PM him yourself. A great guy and not nearly as kinky as Boerbok! ;D
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Quote Originally Posted by Killabeez
    He is in CT. Send him a PM.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast