Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Compound bow draw lengths and draw weights

Hi guys.

So when it comes to draw length I heard a lot of people say "if the draw length doesn't suit you.. Well just take it to an archery shop and they'll swap the cams free of charge" is it really that easy? Also are the cams and modules the same thing? What do you actually need to change on the bow in order to change the draw length?

Now when it comes to draw weight (let's just use the hoyt Crx32 as an example) if you look at compoundbowchoice.com etc... You see the the draw weight is 40-80lbs but when you read the specifications sticker on the bow it says 60-70lbs..? Please explain

Now sorry for all the "common sense" questions but I'm really no master in the _technical_ side of archery

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

User

Default Re: Compound bow draw lengths and draw weights

In your example of the CRX, they’re available from 40-80lbs in 10lb increments so 40-50, 50-60, 60-70 and 70-80. I recall some manufacturers also offering 55-65 and 65-75lbs. Then on the draw length. It depends from model to model, some only need an adjustment on the cam, some need new modules and others need a complete new cam or cams. I would avoid buying an older used bow that would need to have cams changed because in SA it’s quite possible that you won’t find stock and if you do, you’re going to have to dig deep to pay for them.

User

The three best supported brands in SA would be Mathews, Bowtech and Hoyt. If you looking at a second hand model of the above, check with Archers Edge for Bowtech /Mathews parts and Magnum archery for Hoyt.

OK so I have a hoyt turbohawk that I believe is currently 26-27" draw length... I'm going to try and attach a few pictures of either side of both wheels... Please let me know cost where and how will I manage to change it to a 29-30" draw length (so basically what do i do to get it to a 29-30"?)

111111111111111.jpg
    4444444444444.jpg

22222222222.jpg
    33333333333333.jpg

aghhh and i forgot to say a big thank you to Antlion and Bowhunter for their time and for helping out so far its really much more appreciated then you think

User

You will need to change the whole cams and possibly strings too. Looks like the XR2 cam only goes to 27 1/2” draw. Contact Magnum Archery.

https://s3.hoyt.com/uploads/2019/b58...96adac0e22.pdf

Thanks.. Any idea on the total cost to do the change over?

Ahaa one last question.. On the specifications sticker on the bow it says 60-70lbs but when I weighed it last night on my scale it was giving me 45lbs after tightening it up to maximum it gave me 70lbs

So is it possible for the hoyt turbohawk to be a 40-70lbs?? (well even if it's not possible mine is special);D

User

Quote Originally Posted by destroyer View Post
    Ahaa one last question.. On the specifications sticker on the bow it says 60-70lbs but when I weighed it last night on my scale it was giving me 45lbs after tightening it up to maximum it gave me 70lbs

So is it possible for the hoyt turbohawk to be a 40-70lbs?? (well even if it's not possible mine is special);D

Not sure on cost. You can also check with Magnum regarding the draw weight.

User

Did you measure the draw weight after the let of? Remember most compound bows have a % loss at full draw to help you aim and hold the bow at full draw. On my bow i can adjust the amount of let off with the draw lenght modules for the cams.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast